Tell Us Where You Are

brolin1911a1

In the User Profile section for each of us is a space to enter where said user is located. Quite a few leave that blank. I'm suggesting that those who've left it blank strongly consider at least putting down which state they're from.

I've seen several threads recently where that information would be extremely pertinent to the thread. Threads such as whether or not to inform an officer of one's CCW during a traffic stop or the philosophy regarding carry into posted establishments are highly location specific. Even whether or not to borrow a handgun on a trial basis is state-specific. A resident of NYC or Massachusetts may take for granted that (s)he can not even handle a gun without a permit for that specific firearm. OTOH, I took it for granted two nights ago that I could hand my AR-15 and clone 1911 to a friend for him to enjoy over the weekend without so much as a second thought because Missouri has no permit or registration laws. Here in Missouri, my buddy and I can exchange, barter, sell or buy ammunition and/or components from each other with no more of a concern than if it were grocery items; in Massachusetts we'd be guilty of selling ammunition without a license and subject to a $500 fine and prison time for each such transaction.

Knowing at least which state a poster lives in can go a long way towards understanding his/her viewpoints and situations. Please consider entering at least that much information into your user profile.

I like to know what State someones in also and I don't like to answer any question without knowing that. Everyone should look up their on State Laws and not pay attention to the comments on the Net. Even NRA sights have incorrect info, you must look at State Gov Sites.

Everyone should look up their on State Laws and not pay attention to the comments on the Net.
I'll have to remember to remind a certain bluegrass mandolin player on the GRGR list serve when he asks about the law before reading it. :no:

I wouldn't want to loose my right to carry because someone else made a mistake when reading the law. Some States laws are very confusing.

I wouldn't want to loose my right to carry because someone else made a mistake when reading the law. Some States laws are very confusing.

That is so true. Handgunlaw.us is a pretty good resource for links to the state laws but actually reading and comprehending some of those laws is another matter. I'm lucky in that my state, Missouri, has pretty straightforward and easily understood language in its statutes, at least most of them.

I'm still trying to understand Arkansas' firearms laws, though. I know it's illegal to carry into posted locations but I'm still trying to figure out just HOW illegal. There laws seem to be a confusing maze of cross references.

Illinois law seems to be straightforward but mind-numbingly voluminous restrictions. Thank God I have little reason to ever go back into that state!

In any case, the links to the various state's statutes that are available at Handgunlaw.us really leave one with little excuse for not at least trying to read the law(s) of one's home state and any state into which one plans to travel.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back