Technology to detect concealed weapons

bladeguy

This would create some new challenges...

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/23/new-technology-will-allow-nypd-to-detect-concealed-weapons

Hope this doesn't stop the full body massage I get at airports because of my titanium knee! Here in El Paso I have to pay for that kind of treatment, and they even charge an extra hour for handcuffs! .......Uhm. Maybe I've said enough.

Hope this doesn't stop the full body massage I get at airports because of my titanium knee! Here in El Paso I have to pay for that kind of treatment, and they even charge an extra hour for handcuffs! .......Uhm. Maybe I've said enough.

I fixed that non-sense by not flying. F the TSA.

I saw this on the news this morning.
This technology and its implementation is very disturbing.
They are "selling" it to us as a means to detect criminal firearm possession and crime prevention but it actually merely circumvents the entire concept of concealed carry for all of us. Soon it can be everywhere and all lawful cc folks can then be targeted in one way or another. Call me paranoid but this is not good at all.

Technology is not always a GOOD thing. Look how it has been incorporated into just about everything short of the tissue you use to wipe you a$$. People who want to know something about you can find a way of getting that knowledge through our ever expanding use of modern conviences. We really need to go old school and get off the grid or kiss your provicy goodbye.

Ever hear of Echelon and Carnivore? Every packet of data that goes over the public infrastructure is sniffed by the NSA.

I find a couple of things very disturbing in this article. At the surface it is what all of us should find disturbing and that is a clear violation of the 4th amendment. The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. Next, lets look at a quote from the article: “If something is obstructing the flow of radiation, for example a weapon, the device will highlight that object.” The "flow of radiation"? They are talking about terahertz radiation being blasted at you from a distance. There have not been any studies on the effects of such radiation but A study published in 2010 and conducted by Boian S. Alexandrov created mathematical models predicting how terahertz radiation would interact with double-stranded DNA, showing that, even though involved forces seem to be tiny, nonlinear resonances (although much less likely to form than less-powerful common resonances) could allow terahertz waves to "unzip" double-stranded DNA, creating bubbles in the double strand that could significantly interfere with processes such as gene expression and DNA replication". This was just a model but there is no conclusive evidence showing it is safe either. Lastly I find this quote disturbing: “The technology is going to get there,” Kelly said, adding that he is pleased with the progress made in the last year. Yeah, I bet he is pleased...

I find a couple of things very disturbing in this article. At the surface it is what all of us should find disturbing and that is a clear violation of the 4th amendment. The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. Next, lets look at a quote from the article: “If something is obstructing the flow of radiation, for example a weapon, the device will highlight that object.” The "flow of radiation"? They are talking about terahertz radiation being blasted at you from a distance. There have not been any studies on the effects of such radiation but A study published in 2010 and conducted by Boian S. Alexandrov created mathematical models predicting how terahertz radiation would interact with double-stranded DNA, showing that, even though involved forces seem to be tiny, nonlinear resonances (although much less likely to form than less-powerful common resonances) could allow terahertz waves to "unzip" double-stranded DNA, creating bubbles in the double strand that could significantly interfere with processes such as gene expression and DNA replication". This was just a model but there is no conclusive evidence showing it is safe either. Lastly I find this quote disturbing: “The technology is going to get there,” Kelly said, adding that he is pleased with the progress made in the last year. Yeah, I bet he is pleased...

And their argument will be that you or I are in public and they use cameras to surveil the public, which is legit. I'd hate to bet what this supreme court would decide.

And their argument will be that you or I are in public and they use cameras to surveil the public, which is legit. I'd hate to bet what this supreme court would decide.

I agree that there is no preception of privacy in public and cameras can be used to for surveilance. Thats a good argument However, I would tell them that we are talking about a device that uses radiation of which the health effects are not known, to see inside someone's pockets, waistband, shirt etc. This whole surveilance state they are creating is doing nothing to "keep us safe" which is one of thier favorite mantras. They cannot keep us safe. we already have laws, a justice system, police etc, but they need another reason for what theyre doing besides admitting that it is complete domination, control and enslavement.

DHS ha something far worse! They have scanners that can detect small traces of gunpowder 50 yards away. They are being equipped on vehicles that can drive by houses an scan the houses like something out of a movie ad tell you where in the house the gun powder is coming from.

So much for our right to privacy in our persons and freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. Where is the probable cause for the use of this intrusive technology? Just because we CAN do something, does it necessarily follow that we MUST do it?

This is a clear violation of the 4th Amendment. It is just like the back-scatter X-ray machines that the Border Patrol has in those trucks that detect weapons in vehicles near the border. I followed one of those vehicles on a US Highway near my hometown, to keep from passing it. Back-scatter X-ray has been proven to be harmful... as is other radiation. They need to be stopped. But the common man has no way of doing it.
Our legislators no longer care what we think. And most of our ostrich neighbors will tell us we are just paranoid...
Sometime.....

I think someone should go into business creating weapon shaped tinfoil and sell it widely. Then perhaps we can make some money on illegal searches.

Technology is not always a GOOD thing. Look how it has been incorporated into just about everything short of the tissue you use to wipe you a$$. People who want to know something about you can find a way of getting that knowledge through our ever expanding use of modern conviences. We really need to go old school and get off the grid or kiss your provicy goodbye.
I'd say that toilet paper has also taken advantage of technology. The good stuff is much better than it was 40-50 years ago lol. The cheap stuff still is full of wood chips for better grabbing power.

There are already clothes available which have metal threads in them. That would be interesting.
Don't forget RFID proof wallets. I'm sure someone will make one as a holster.

At the very least, it's another reason to stay away from NYC.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back