Teacher wth gun

W

wendyj7

I am a teacher. I do not support violence but feel being able to cnc wld give me peace of mind. It is unnerving knowing guns r n the area n the hands of criminals - it wld b nice if we are allowed the legal option to b able to protect ourself and our students.

Being a responsible citizen with a gun doesn't have anything to do with violence, unless you're protecting yourself from it. And in that case, you're not supporting it in any way.

I am a teacher. I do not support violence but feel being able to cnc wld give me peace of mind. It is unnerving knowing guns r n the area n the hands of criminals - it wld b nice if we are allowed the legal option to b able to protect ourself and our students.

I very rarely post as I'm new to the world of concealed carry but I can't help but reply to this one...I'm very disappointed that you are spelling the way you are and telling the world you are a teacher. I have held teachers in high regard because of the influence they have had in my life...they are supposed to be a GOOD EXAMPLE :)

On the other hand, kudos to you for the thinking of being willing to protect your students this way!

I very rarely post as I'm new to the world of concealed carry but I can't help but reply to this one...I'm very disappointed that you are spelling the way you are and telling the world you are a teacher. I have held teachers in high regard because of the influence they have had in my life...they are supposed to be a GOOD EXAMPLE :)

On the other hand, kudos to you for the thinking of being willing to protect your students this way!

Beat me to it. Writing like that, even on an Internet message board, causes you to lose all credibility as an educator in my opinion. I really hope you don't accept writing like that in your class.

"Her" first post on the boards and she comes off like a 16 year old girl at the mall....

Just sayin.... Ya know?

Anyways.. Welcome on board. I hope you find the answers you seek here.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Maybe the kids have rubbed off on her. Anyway. My concern is a student getting the gun from the teacher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I read it like it was sent from a phone, more of a text message format. But that is just me.

Do agree with the OP that it would be nice to give educators the option of protecting themselves and their students with something more substantial that a 'Gun-Free Zone" sign.

Maybe the kids have rubbed off on her. Anyway. My concern is a student getting the gun from the teacher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What makes you think that students would be more capable of getting ahold of a gun concealed on your person anymore than Joe Schmo walking down the street? Especially if they don't know you have it, and I can't think of a reason they should know.

What makes you think that students would be more capable of getting ahold of a gun concealed on your person anymore than Joe Schmo walking down the street? Especially if they don't know you have it, and I can't think of a reason they should know.

Because she's a troll.

Link Removed

I agree that she is using standard instant message abbreviations where there is a limit on the number of characters in a message. I can understand it because I do this with my 35 year old LE son sometimes. I see she signed in as a guest. If she is not used to forums such as this that do not have those limits, it is understandable to me she would think she had to communicate in IM format. I am sure she would communicate appropriately in regular settings such as classroom. Can we just address her concern? Whether she is a troll or not, which I doubt, then she will hear appropriate responses to her concern.
-----Wendyj, welcome to the forum. I see your concerns are that you have fears about firearms possessed illegally by criminals in the community. While the idea of firearms may scare you, I think you are expressing that you wish you had the means to protect yourself and your children in class. Since you did not identify where you live, it makes it difficult to suggest a direction as state laws differ. There are a number of states this year that have authorized special firearm training for teachers and to allow a limited number of teachers, determined by the principal to carry or have a firearm locked up in his or her room. The training in some states is similar to that taken by reserve officers, including shooting and gun safety and knowing all appropriate laws, including responsibilities of the person authorized to possess the firearm.
-----Just having a firearm is not enough. It is important if you want to become a firearm owner, even for your own protection, that you find someone locally qualified to train you and then get plenty of practice. Firearm safety is your number 1 priority. Most accidental shootings are the result of someone failing to follow correct safety procedures every time the firearm is outside of a gun safe or case or unlocked. It is healthy to respect what a firearm can do and to even have a little "fear" of it. This is the same sense of having "fear" to not drive when you are too exhausted to drive safely. If you get proper training, and practice, and consistently follow all safety rules, shooting is a fun sport. If you have specific questions and want to let us know where you teach, we might be able to address any specific concerns.

I agree that she is using standard instant message abbreviations where there is a limit on the number of characters in a message. I can understand it because I do this with my 35 year old LE son sometimes. I see she signed in as a guest. If she is not used to forums such as this that do not have those limits, it is understandable to me she would think she had to communicate in IM format. I am sure she would communicate appropriately in regular settings such as classroom. Can we just address her concern? Whether she is a troll or not, which I doubt, then she will hear appropriate responses to her concern.
-----Wendyj, welcome to the forum. I see your concerns are that you have fears about firearms possessed illegally by criminals in the community. While the idea of firearms may scare you, I think you are expressing that you wish you had the means to protect yourself and your children in class. Since you did not identify where you live, it makes it difficult to suggest a direction as state laws differ. There are a number of states this year that have authorized special firearm training for teachers and to allow a limited number of teachers, determined by the principal to carry or have a firearm locked up in his or her room. The training in some states is similar to that taken by reserve officers, including shooting and gun safety and knowing all appropriate laws, including responsibilities of the person authorized to possess the firearm.
-----Just having a firearm is not enough. It is important if you want to become a firearm owner, even for your own protection, that you find someone locally qualified to train you and then get plenty of practice. Firearm safety is your number 1 priority. Most accidental shootings are the result of someone failing to follow correct safety procedures every time the firearm is outside of a gun safe or case or unlocked. It is healthy to respect what a firearm can do and to even have a little "fear" of it. This is the same sense of having "fear" to not drive when you are too exhausted to drive safely. If you get proper training, and practice, and consistently follow all safety rules, shooting is a fun sport. If you have specific questions and want to let us know where you teach, we might be able to address any specific concerns.

^^This^^ I agree with this.

I feel qualified to address this one. I taught for 11 years in a very rough inner city school. We did have one armed officer on campus. The design of our campus made it extremely difficult to expect any response time from the officer under 3 minutes. More if we were in the middle of class changes (ever been in the hall with 2500 students?). My other campuses were very rural with response times of about 30-45 minutes.

Every campus should make this decision based on their particular needs. This is a multi-faceted issue. Many of our schools were built with little security in mind. They were design to allow the fewest number of adults control a large number of students. Most rooms have one exit (very few have windows that open in urban areas) so students and teachers are trapped if anything should occur. Most schools want parents to feel they have free access during class time so the front doors are unlocked and main offices do not have monitoring windows. Most schools have a sign telling visitors to check into the office. Sadly, bad people do not check in.

Teachers who wish to carry and have received training should be able to do so. BUT they need to understand, they need training that teaches them to deal with the school environment. It isn't the same as standing at a range. Most educators fear an Active Shooter scenario. Those occur and are over in less than 3 minutes. Most trainers will tell you to evacuate and evade shooters unless engagement is your only option. DO NOT be the one holding a gun when police come through the door. Most PD's will assume the one holding the gun is the bad guy and shoot.

I ran my students through evacuation drills several times throughout the year. I could clear my classroom under a minute (38 students) through every exit available. Make sure your campus has a plan and PRACTICES evacuation. There are so many factors to consider, every campus will have different needs. Find training classes, be on the security committee for your campus, do anything -- with or without carrying a gun.

In Utah several instructors offered free concealed carry classes to teachers after the Sandy Hook tragedy. If the bad guys think there might be a weapon in the school I think they go elsewhere. The reason they pick schools and places where weapons are not allowed is simply that they are cowards and as criminals obviously the law just offers them a free living shooting gallery. If your state allows it please seriously considering becoming part of the solution. But as others have said, get some very specific training.

Hey.. I am a new member of this forum. Well being a teacher, I am also like you against violence. However, as guns are becoming so popular so I feel that we all should protect ourselves and students from any violent like situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back