Tampa Fox 13 News - Open carry movement comes to Florida

StogieC

Link Removed

TAMPA - Imagine a place where everyone walks around wearing a side-arm. It's not the old west, it's modern day America, if one group gets its way.

They believe it's their constitutional right to openly carry a gun. They're bucking the system all across the nation -- a system they say robs them of their 2nd amendment, constitutional right to openly carry a gun, like Raul DeJesus does.

DeJesus says they might not agree with it, but the law is on his side.
"And these are the statutes. If I get stopped by a police officer, I can show him this," he says.

By Florida statute, you're allowed to carry a loaded gun while you're legally engaged in, or going to or from, certain outdoor activities.
"So am I right to assume that the only way you're legally carrying your open weapon is that you're fishing?" we asked him.
"Correct. Fishing, hunting or camping, in the state of Florida," he responds.

. . .
The open carry movement has grown from grass-roots to a full-on lobbying group. Right now, 43 states have some form of law allowing gun owners to openly carry their fire arms.

TAMPA - Imagine a place where everyone walks around wearing a side-arm. It's not the old west, it's modern day America, if one group gets its way.

They believe it's their constitutional right to openly carry a gun. They're bucking the system all across the nation -- a system they say robs them of their 2nd amendment, constitutional right to openly carry a gun, like Raul DeJesus does.

DeJesus says they might not agree with it, but the law is on his side.
"And these are the statutes. If I get stopped by a police officer, I can show him this," he says.

By Florida statute, you're allowed to carry a loaded gun while you're legally engaged in, or going to or from, certain outdoor activities.
"So am I right to assume that the only way you're legally carrying your open weapon is that you're fishing?" we asked him.
"Correct. Fishing, hunting or camping, in the state of Florida," he responds.

. . .
The open carry movement has grown from grass-roots to a full-on lobbying group. Right now, 43 states have some form of law allowing gun owners to openly carry their fire arms.
Link Removed

The 2 contradictory portions of the article that I highlighted make me wonder if these people read what they write...

I just learned, yesterday, as a matter of fact, that Arkansas will be voting on open carry in January. It was tried before, but didn't have the necessary support. Now, however, it stands a good chance of going through. Considering violent crime has been rising in my area, I am in full support of open carry. Yes, I have a CWP, but find it difficult to conceal my sidearm properly all the time, and if it is totally out of sight, it's also difficult to retreive. I can't wait to see what happens in a few weeks.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back