Substance Abuse Evaluations and CCW Permits

TooCalm

Has anyone had to get a substance abuse evaluation by their local mental health department before the mental health director would sign off on the CCW permit?
I understand anyone with a past DWI, a failed work place drug test, or any admission of drinking or drug use what so ever, has to pay for the assessment before they can get a CCW permit.
If anyone has taken the substance abuse evaluation I would like to hear what you think about it, especially if you live in Catawba County NC and have had any experience with Familynet and a certain Dr. Gordon Cappelletty.

Evaluations, not drug test.

I have taken and passed at least one dozen drug test in my life.
A substance abuse evaluation consist of an interrogation by a psychologist. It is a matter of their opinion as to whether you pass or not. Now since they are charging $118 per hour or more it is unlikely that they are going to loose out on the chance to take you for every dime they can get.

I am familiar with Dr. Gordon Cappelletty on professional level (not personal level) and can tell you that out of all the mental health workers that I have seen in my life, he is the most reasonable psychologist out there. Now there was a time in my life that I was not a stranger to the mental health system- In and out of psychiatric hospitals, court ordered therapy sessions, and countless evaluations (all prior to working with Dr. Cappelletty). I have worked with some pretty unreasonable characters. But this psychologist is well grounded and has always been fair with me. I also have always given him the respect he deserves and have been honest with him through the three years of working with him. I however have never had a substance abuse evaluation so I don't know what that is like. But I can say that I am no longer mentally ill.
My advice to you with working with Dr. Cappelletty is to be honest- don't try to BS him, for he is an incredibly bright man who will pick up on it in an instance. Recognize that carring a concealed weapon is a huge responsibilty only given to those who meet the specific criteria under the law. I don't know him personally, but I think highly of him professionally. His values were apparent through his behavior toward me as his client and brief encouters with staff members. He is trustworthy and compassionate (He has the ability to imagine himself in the situation of another and really mean it) His moral character and ability are strictly professional.
Hope this helps!

They earned my mistrust.

Thank you for the honesty. I do not know him personally, but my experience with his staff about 15 years ago has instilled a very deep distrust of any and all mental health workers.
I was depressed over a woman and sought help from them. I was repeatedly lied to by the therapist. After I complained about the lies they finally told me that they had no intentions of treating my depression and they actually withheld treatment from me and used it as a carrot to try and force me to stop drinking beer.
I have never run into such a bunch of cold, callous, uncaring bastards in my entire life. They almost cost me my life! I will never forget the night that I looked at my 357 magnum pistol and thought; That will make it stop and it won't hurt! I Did Not and Do Not want to die, but I realized then and there that if I could not get help, in one of those moments of despair, I was going to make a horrible, irreversible mistake. If it weren't for my regular doctor treating me with out any regard for my drinking I would probably be dead.
I'm glad your experience with them was a positive one. I can't say the same. They taught me the meaning of the word Stigma, and what it means to be stigmatized.
As for my drinking; During the years that I drank, I never missed one day of work and I have never gotten into legal trouble. No DUI's.
As for no longer being mentally ill; I have found out that once your name is in the mental healths systems files, the government considers you to be a crazy menace to society and your gun rights are gone forever. That is the Stigma.
{Recognize that carrying a concealed weapon is a huge responsibility only given to those who meet the specific criteria under the law.} The 2nd amendment is a right, not a privilege. Unless a person has been convicted of a felony, or declared mentally incompetent by a judge there is no reason to deny a law abiding citizen their 2nd amendment rights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back