stupid noob question about remanufactured ammo

reddragonrph

I tried a couple of searches, but didn't find the answer I was looking for. Would any of you purchase remanufactured ammo online? I see where surplus ammo and arms is selling remanufactured 380 auto for $239.99/500 rounds. My problem is whether to trust it. I don't want to do something that damages my Sig. And I can't seem to find any reviews of the company's reloaded ammo.

Thoughts? :unsure:

I've only used remanufactured rifle ammo. Back in the 60's and 70's several small companies emerged remanufacturing spent military brass. I tried three different brands in my .308's. Two were excellent. Groups were as tight as with any name brand. I ended up pulling the bullets, dumping the powder and primer from the third brand before someone got hurt. Very poor quality even for target practice.

If you have something that eats anything, remanufactured ammo is an inexpensive way to purchase target ammo.

I would not ever use it for self-defense ammo. On another thread I gave you a link to the specs on Speer Gold Dot Hollowpoints for the .380 that I use.

Remanufactured ammunition can be better than factory, but it is more likely to more variable than factory. They need to have an FFL for ammunition manufacturing and they must have a lot of liability insurance, so they aren't trying to be fly-by-night.
You do seem awfully hesitant about ammunition for your gun. With that attitude, I would stick to big name ammunition and wait for the present "crisis" to end.

Yes I would, but not at that price. Around here I can find .380 for under $20 a box, anything north of that makes me twitchy:fie:

I don't mind reloads for the range. I would never use them for protection. I had a misfire one time and never trusted them again.

My preferred range ammo is Black Hills reloads (blue box or white box). Never a problem.

Except getting any lately.

I would certainly used Black Hills reman ammo in my carry pistol. Even with the big name reman businesses, you need to hand feed each round into the chamber of the dismantled barrel to ascertain the rounds will chamber plus double check each round for things like overall length and primers seated backward.

Range use only, have had misfire with brand new commercial ammo but my life will be trusted to the best I can buy.

I want to. But I have a feeling that learning proper technique and developing proper skill will take much longer than I have ammo left. :wink:

So for the time being I need to purchase. Thanks to all of you for your input!

There's a difference between "reloads" and "remanufactured". Reloads can be done in your garage, by the range etc., and quality control could be an issue. Here's a better explanation on remanufactured ammo from a company that does it (Freedom Munitions).
About Us
Facts
Like others have said, use it for the range. It should have no ill effects on your gun since it is still manufactured to specifications (proper amount of powder etc.) And if you do get a misfire at the range, you need to practice how to react to that as well. I actually load random snap-caps in my mags to get that practice.

I have shot thousands of rounds of remanufactured ammo.

I have had no fail to fire, but I did have one failure related to the fact the round was either over charged, or the brass had been reloaded one too many times. This was from a manufacturer that I had not used before, nor will I again. They are providing a full refund for my order (500 rounds).

It was not a pleasant experience, minor burns on my hand when the blowout sent hot gasses from the breech/load ramp down through the trigger where my finger was.

The blown out area on the brass above aligns perfectly with the load ramp of my XDs9.

Will I still continue to shoot reman ammo, yes, but from vendors I have more confidence in. Most of the reman ammo I have shot is from Freedom Munitions, and I continue to use their ammo.

My self-defense/home-defense ammo is all new.

I tried a couple of searches, but didn't find the answer I was looking for. Would any of you purchase remanufactured ammo online? I see where surplus ammo and arms is selling remanufactured 380 auto for $239.99/500 rounds. My problem is whether to trust it. I don't want to do something that damages my Sig. And I can't seem to find any reviews of the company's reloaded ammo.

Thoughts? :unsure:

Whoa, not at the price :nono:

A quick search shows that 500 rounds of 380 can be had for $171.95, and from a vendor I have used may times, Freedom Munitions. I am totally satisfied with this vendor after shooting thousands of rounds I have purchased from them.

I bought 500 rounds of .380 from Freedom for about $175.00 a few weeks ago. Not a fantastic price, but couldn't find any at the local stores.
Run 50 rounds of it with no problems. Also bought 500 rounds of 9mm about 6 weeks ago from them with no issues at all. Seems just as good as Winchester white box.

Agree with what has been said...not for carry but for practice only. I have had good luck with many re-manufacturers and one that wasn't so good over the past 20 years.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back