Striker fired without safety

BUDS89

I might be way off, but I don't understand the mass rejection of manual safety on striker pistols. I just got a Sig 365 X Macro, and after doing the M-Carbo trigger job, it shoots close to my CZ SP01 Cajun Gun Works single action only. A striker pistol is basically a single-action-only platform. It does not have a double-action function where you can pull the trigger without racking the slide. Why would you want to holster such a platform chambered without the safety engaged? Managing a safety is a training challenge, not a technical one. In the case of the P365 macro, the safety does not add any diminishing characteristics. It is simply another option and in my opinion a superior option. If you don't want to use it, that is an option but why remove it?

I feel similarly about decockers. What is so difficult about putting your thumb on the hammer and safely dropping the hammer. I just don't get decockers. My two main platforms are now CZ SP01 Safety and Sig P365 X Macro Safety with a M-Carbo trigger upgrade. They shoot more alike than not.

Please help me understand what I am not understanding about striker safeties and decockers.

You're essentially answering your own question. You say it's not enough to rely on your own skill to stop a discharge with out a back-up safety device, yet you don't understand why some people want a back-up safety device when dropping a hammer on a loaded firearm.

Some of us practice a LOT and are very familiar with our tools. I pesonally prefer Glock for my daily. No manual safety. There is NEVER a zero percent chance of an incident, even with safeties, but I'm just as confident with that Glock than any other tool. If I started aquaring firearms with safties, and decided to use them, I would introduce the potential for a mistake moving from one platform to another.

If you like a manual safety, and it does it's job - making you feel confident handling that firearm - then great! Job done.

It's simple... Most people don't like manual thumb safeties because in a tense situation, that's just one more thing to be done when seconds matter between unholstering and firing the weapon and when you're scared and got adrenaline pumping, no amount of practice will 100% guarantee you'll remember to swipe the safety off. We aren't perfect beings.

Some people are all about the striker-fired pistols, some are all about 1911-style pistols and some are all about the hammer-fired SA/DA pistols, which is what I am. I don't prefer a manual thumb safety which is why I'm all about the HF SA/DA. No need for a safety and also have a lesser chance of the gun going bang when it's not supposed to. Now, just to avoid starting a heated debate on that subject, this is just what I prefer and that is what my manual of arms is.

But why is it you dont understand a decocker? Sure, on certain handguns such as 1911's and revolvers, thats your only way to decock one of those and it is unsafe, even if you know what you're doing. Then there is the decocker. Makes it so much safer and doesnt involve pulling the trigger while you control the lowering of the hammer with your thumb.

I might be way off, but I don't understand the mass rejection of manual safety on striker pistols. I just got a Sig 365 X Macro, and after doing the M-Carbo trigger job, it shoots close to my CZ SP01 Cajun Gun Works single action only. A striker pistol is basically a single-action-only platform. It does not have a double-action function where you can pull the trigger without racking the slide. Why would you want to holster such a platform chambered without the safety engaged? Managing a safety is a training challenge, not a technical one. In the case of the P365 macro, the safety does not add any diminishing characteristics. It is simply another option and in my opinion a superior option. If you don't want to use it, that is an option but why remove it?

I feel similarly about decockers. What is so difficult about putting your thumb on the hammer and safely dropping the hammer. I just don't get decockers. My two main platforms are now CZ SP01 Safety and Sig P365 X Macro Safety with a M-Carbo trigger upgrade. They shoot more alike than not.

Please help me understand what I am not understanding about striker safeties and decockers.
It's simple... Most people don't like manual thumb safeties because in a tense situation, that's just one more thing to be done when seconds matter between unholstering and firing the weapon and when you're scared and got adrenaline pumping, no amount of practice will 100% guarantee you'll remember to swipe the safety off. We aren't perfect beings.

Some people are all about the striker-fired pistols, some are all about 1911-style pistols and some are all about the hammer-fired SA/DA pistols, which is what I am. I don't prefer a manual thumb safety which is why I'm all about the HF SA/DA. No need for a safety and also have a lesser chance of the gun going bang when it's not supposed to. Now, just to avoid starting a heated debate on that subject, this is just what I prefer and that is what my manual of arms is.

But why is it you dont understand a decocker? Sure, on certain handguns such as 1911's and revolvers, thats your only way to decock one of those and it is unsafe, even if you know what you're doing. Then there is the decocker. Makes it so much safer and doesnt involve pulling the trigger while you control the lowering of the hammer with your thumb.
I have a Kahr CM9 striker fired 9mm. The safety feature is a long, very smooth trigger pull. You can carry with a round in the chamber and not fear an ary the Kahr accidental discharge from a light tap on the trigger. like a cocked hammer. I got used to my 1911 requiring a tap on the safety when you carry as John Browning intended,"cocked and locked". I carry the Kahr because of its size, accuracy, and reliability with all types of ammo. How I carry depends on the environment I will be entering.I love them both. nuff said.....

I have a Kahr CM9 striker fired 9mm. The safety feature is a long, very smooth trigger pull. You can carry with a round in the chamber and not fear an ary the Kahr accidental discharge from a light tap on the trigger. like a cocked hammer. I got used to my 1911 requiring a tap on the safety when you carry as John Browning intended,"cocked and locked". I carry the Kahr because of its size, accuracy, and reliability with all types of ammo. How I carry depends on the environment I will be entering.I love them both. nuff said.....

So in weight, how many pound-trigger pull is that CM9? And I’m assuming you’re saying it doesn’t have a manual thumb safety on the side?

My Beretta PX4 storm 9 mm compact that I carry in the winter time when I’m not at work and when it’s too cold to wear shorts or my Springfield XDE 45 that I carry all rest of the year around and when I’m at work, both have a fairly long 12 to 13 pound trigger pull. That is my safety coupled with the hammer that I can press on whenever I go to put the PX4 in it’s holster or the Springfield in it’s pocket holster that goes in my pocket.

But yeah, those of y’all that have really good experience with a 1911 carrying it cocked and locked like that, probably have a lot less of a risk of forgetting to swipe your safety off but for someone like me, it don’t want a thumb safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in weight, how many pound-trigger pull is that CM9? And I’m assuming you’re saying it doesn’t have a manual thumb safety on the side?

My Beretta PX4 storm 9 mm compact that I carry in the winter time when I’m not at work and when it’s too cold to wear shorts or my Springfield XDE 45 that I carry all rest of the year around and when I’m at work, both have a fairly long 12 to 13 pound trigger pull. That is my safety coupled with the hammer that I can press on whenever I go to put the PX4 in it’s holster or the Springfield in it’s pocket holster that goes in my pocket.

But yeah, those of y’all that have really good experience with a 1911 carrying it cocked and locked like that, probably have a lot less of a risk of forgetting to swipe your safety off but for someone like me, it don’t want a thumb safety.

My Kahr has a 6.5 pound trigger....works for me

My Kahr has a 6.5 pound trigger....works for me

See, to me, a trigger that light would need a manual thumb safety, but then again since I’m not a fan of manual thumb safeties, I wouldn’t carry a pistol like that whether it had one or not which is why I’m a big fan of my hammer fired, double action/single action pistols because you get the best of both worlds, except for the longer heavier trigger pull on your first shot but, I’ve overcome that with heavy practice of firing two shots and then decocking the hammer and then firing two more.

Needless to say, I’ve gotten pretty good at having my second single action shot pretty well on target after the first double action shot.

The Kahr's only partially cock the striker via recoil/slide manipulation, with the remainder of the striker cocking action happening during the long smooth DA Revolver like trigger pull.

Very safe to carry in condition 0 assuming proper care with trigger control and re-holstering etc.

I also prefer a Kahr PM9 for carry. It's safe, small, and lightweight (21oz with 8+1 and a Laser).

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back