Storage of components

njsportsman

I am new to reloading I put it off for years because I do not have a basement and wondering how I would keep the components dry mainly the powder. Well I finally bought a re-loader and now The question comes to how do I keep things dry. I will setup my bench in the garage but, my garage is as cold or hot as it is outside which is a moisture magnet. I thought of buying plastic containers and desiccant and storing everything in the crawlspace. I had a mold issue in the past so I had it remediated and a vapor barrier put in. I put a dehumidifier down there and it's cool and dry. A littler bit of a pain but, at least I can get started. Ideas or suggestion welcome. Thanks in advance

Powder comes in plastic bottles and will stay dry if the lids are tight.
Storage is always "cool and dry," but I haven't noticed any real issue with reloading components any more than tools and chemicals like paint and such. If your crawl space is "cool and dry," then that is a good place. I want everything close at hand and not tucked away in some crawl space. Not sure if I want powder in a crawl space.
Good thing to keep the dies in drawers. Some keep them with desiccant. Some wrapped in VCI paper. Some just leave them in the press.
I loaded for over 30 years in a garage with absolutely no controls--hot summer, cold winter, whatever. No issues. My son sets up his press in garage (same weather as I have but about 300 miles to the north), and in two weeks he has a little rust on the press (no problem, just unsightly).

The only thing I do is to keep the powder in the house, but all other components stay in the garage. I live in a hot and humid climate, but if you keep the equipment clean it will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my shed I have the powder in a tote with the pink insulation around it, each hopper I have full of powder (Dillon 550) with a plastic garbage bag over them. My problem in Arizona is the 110 degree heat in the summer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back