still confused about ky knife laws

rdm6680

Banned
I like to drink in bars in ky and ohio. I obviously can't carry my ccw firearm when I do this. Can I carry a folding 3.5" locking knife concealed? What about a tactical pen? Anybody have a link to something in writing?

Knife laws are frustrating.

Can't help you with Ohio.

You can open or conceal carry in a bar in KY, but it has to be unloaded.

You can take a knife in with you also because KYs permit is a CCDW or concealed carry of deadly weapons.

Ill post cites once I get home from work.

Link Removed
That covers the firearm question.

The knife there isn't a cite because laws don't generally tell you what you can do, they tell you what you can't do. As I said, KYs permit is a Conceal Carry of Deadly Weapons, so you could take nunchuks, a lead pipe, brass knuckles, lots of things, just make sure that gun is unloaded. You can keep a magazine/speed loader, just no rounds in the gun.

The unloaded limitation only applies to a bar, outside the bar you can be drunk and have it loaded.

You should also note that it isn't even a crime if you do, but they will take your gun. Its also only a misdemeanor for getting caught the first time carrying a concealed weapon in Kentucky, a felony after that. It doesn't apply to you, but you gotta love the lack of over criminalization of firearm possession here.

As a retired Ohio LEO with MANY duty hours checking bars, I can tell you there are no Ohio restrictions on carrying the items you mentioned. The problem you would have is using it in an inappropriate manner while intoxicated, such as in using it as a weapon or displaying in a threatening manner. Then you run into using a weapon while under disability. And intoxicated does mean you have to be falling down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back