Steel Shot

ryanb25

I'm that guy who just bought his first shotgun for home defense and accidentally bought the wrong ammo. I was reading about what shots are best for HD and ended up deciding to look for #1 buckshot. So I went into Academy sports and bought #1 steel shot not knowing there was a difference. It is a box of 25 for 20$ and they won't let me return it. My first thought was oh well I will just have some fun with it at the range and then I was reading about how steel shot can damage your barrel. What should I do? Will 25 rounds of #1 steel shot have that much of a significant effect on my new 12 gauge? As much as I love wasting 20$ I'm hoping to get some use out of it.

Call firearm manfacture, but shot is contained in the wad till the shot exits the barrel, only the wad sides touch the barrel not the shot so have fun.

I'm that guy who just bought his first shotgun for home defense and accidentally bought the wrong ammo. I was reading about what shots are best for HD and ended up deciding to look for #1 buckshot. So I went into Academy sports and bought #1 steel shot not knowing there was a difference. It is a box of 25 for 20$ and they won't let me return it. My first thought was oh well I will just have some fun with it at the range and then I was reading about how steel shot can damage your barrel. What should I do? Will 25 rounds of #1 steel shot have that much of a significant effect on my new 12 gauge? As much as I love wasting 20$ I'm hoping to get some use out of it.

So you THINK you bought the wrong shot ?
Apparently you haven't shot your gun at the normal close ranges where you would encounter a target in your home.
Measure the greatest distance in your home where you would have that typical encounter. Now get a 2x4 or 4x4 and shoot it at that range. Shoot it with several different gauges, shot sizes, TYPES of shot, chokes....
Chances are, your distance will be not much more than about 15 feet.
Then tell me which you would rather be shot with, based on what you see happen to the wood (which is usually harder than the body).

I rest my case.

Try Fiocchi 12 ga. 2-3/4 00BK. It sends 9 pellets at a mild 1150 fps. Not much over penetration. About $6 for a box of 10.

The steel shot you bought will be fine, it definatly will stop a bad guy, way to much analisis is put into this subject, any of the larger size shot shells will be ok for HD and they being steel will not matter and a box of shells is not going to hurt your gun, if take the gun out for a little range time leave the steel at home and buy some cheap wally world shot or slugs and blast away

You did not specify the make/model of your shotgun, and whether or not you have a choke installed (some shotgun barrels have a choke "built in"). Most shotgun barrels will accommodate steel shot without problem; hunters have used steel shot since 1992, when non-toxic shot became a requirement for waterfowl hunting. However, some chokes are not for use with steel shot ("full" chokes are usually not for use with steel shot unless they are specifically designed and labeled for that). It is possible to damage the barrel and/or choke if you put steel shot through a full (or greater) choke that is not designed for use with steel. Check your owner's manual. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't have a choke more restrictive than "modified" on your barrel.

You did not specify the make/model of your shotgun, and whether or not you have a choke installed (some shotgun barrels have a choke "built in"). Most shotgun barrels will accommodate steel shot without problem; hunters have used steel shot since 1992, when non-toxic shot became a requirement for waterfowl hunting. However, some chokes are not for use with steel shot ("full" chokes are usually not for use with steel shot unless they are specifically designed and labeled for that). It is possible to damage the barrel and/or choke if you put steel shot through a full (or greater) choke that is not designed for use with steel. Check your owner's manual. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't have a choke more restrictive than "modified" on your barrel.

My apologies, it is a Remington 870 Express Supermag, modified choke.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back