Steam Cleaner???

mspt_99

I was flippin through one of those, "has everything for the home cheap" catalogues and saw a home steam cleaner with assorted attachments touted to clean into every nook and crany. It made me think of some older guns I bought at an auction a while back. these guns look to be cleaned and recleaned over the years in a poor manner with gunk stuck in all the noooks and cranies: for some its just wax but others it looks to be debris mixed with cleaning solution mixed with ??????? wonder if a steam cleaner would clean these up.

anyone tried this??
Anyone have any thoughts??

thanks

A good cleaner, nylon/brass brushes, brass picks, swabs and in under an hour... Whoala! However, I've not tried a steam cleaner yet. If ya do try one out, let us know what ya think.

sure enough, no agument but WHAT IF, you steam it first loosening everything and you can wipe most off of the gun so that cleaning is more like 20 min? Would have to purchase a unit first. If I do and try it will definitely post results.

Consider ultrasonic cleaning. If you don't have access to one and you don't have a steam cleaner you could soak it in Simple Green and water. Not sure if I would do that if it has a wooden stock. In either event, soaking or steam, make sure you blow it out using an air compressor. That will get all the water out and no rust then. Never done either but have been told it works by a reliable source.

Cleaning

I have an old marlin 99 22cal. That I've had since was a kid. Took the wood off & soaked it in deisle fuel then steamed off & cleaned right. Did just fine.

"Texas Heart Shot:268692]I have an old marlin 99 22cal. That I've had since was a kid. Took the wood off & soaked it in deisle fuel then steamed off & cleaned right. Did just fine."

I guess i need to research more cleaning options as never heard of diesel fuel bath.

I've used a steam genny to clean down some pretty groady machines in the past. I would think it would work on gunked up guns but consider doing it outside (obviously) the pressure of the steam genny might sling the loose stuff everywhere, and use a real good water displacement lube after your done.

Not sure how much pressure if any the ones you see on TV develop or what temperature they get up to, but I'd still set up outside. The smell could get interesting!

Just don't use that thing on polymer. Gun polymers (D-6, Zytel, or Glock's, 'Nylon 6' (Whatever that is?) are, each, weakened and otherwise adversely affected by hot water - OK!

In an aside, what is, 'Whoala'? Maybe the writer meant, 'voilà'? ;)

whala a bastardized english version of the French word "voila" meaning "there it is" courtesy of urban dictionary

anyway, yes I was definitely aware of that. I ordered a used one last night for $9.00 and will see if it works, If I like it and then if I need to upgrade to a better steamer or my cheap used one will work from small jobs around guns and garage.
TY

soo, just an update on the steam cleaner. not a fan yet. haven't tried the cleaner out on a gun yet as I have been just getting used to using the cleaner in the home. Didn't want to both learn how to use the cleaner and try it on a gun all at the same time since I have never used one period. Not a big fan of it so far only because you have to keep adding water. cleans the shower well. in the meantime been using more hoppes and then synthetic oil that I learned for these forums and I like that a lot and it got my cruddy gun clean so probably wont plan on trying the steamer out unless I get curious again.
over and out.
Mspt

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back