Starting to research a new pistol

Mrugg

I am trying to find a fairly acurate semi auto pistol.What caliber would you recomend also what make and model?
I am thinking .45,.9mm or .40 S&W.

Wow!

Go to your local range and rent different models to determine which feel comfortable to hold. Is this gun for ccw, home protection, range fun? How much can you afford to spend?

Sig sauer P250. Dao. You can get them in 9, 357 sig, 40, and 45. Full size to sub compact. I have a full size. 40 its accurate, and the recoil isn't bad.. they are good pistols. And pretty affordable too.

You gotta get a caliber that works for you. I like the .40 because its right in the middle. I would recommend a 9mm or a .40 before you buy a .45 and realize its not right for you (too much recoil, more expensive ammo, etc).

Glock is a good place to look. Every size and every caliber you would want in a semi auto pistol.

I have a LC9 to use a concealed carry gun. the trigger took some getting used to. I also have a M&P .45compact that I open carry. Love that gun. .45 =expensive to shoot. 9mm isnt too bad. But I have to agree with the comment about going to a gun range n trying them out. I shot the Lc9 than went home n bought it online from buds for cheaper than any shop plus no tax.

I am trying to find a fairly acurate semi auto pistol.What caliber would you recomend also what make and model?
I am thinking .45,.9mm or .40 S&W.

What are you going to do with it?
I'm a .45 guy. The 1911 is my favorite pistol of all time.
But 45 acp is expensive as hell to shoot, and more challenging to shoot than .40 or 9mm.
No offense meant to 9mm/.40 guys.

I have a Colt .45 1911 and I just bought a Glock 19 Gen4 9mm and I like the 9mm but won't ever give up my Colt.

9mm DPX bullets are almost effective as the other calibers and easier to shoot/wallet and about 4-5 bucks a box if you reload.

Get a Glock, will shoot every time and Very easy to clean/tare down.

I am used to 1911's .45. I'm accurate and feel comfortable with that. And with a little practice I became accurate with my g27. I then tried my buddies ruger p89 9mm and could not hit the target.:( I know ruger is a good brand but not for me. As far as their semi autos go. I really want to try the ruger sp101. Looks nice.

I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .40 cal and I have no complaints. I get some nice 2-3" groupings. Just make sure you get something that you can get ammo for in your area without always having to look online or reload. Convenience was a major factor for me.

Thanks all for all the great advice.I hope I can answer all.correct.
I am gonna use it for ccw home protection andfun at the range with friends.
Price range $300 to $500 but wheeling to go a bit higher if worth it.Rather not get a compact.Unless recomended for accuracy.I can also reload my own ammo if need be.

Unless you cast your own bullets I think you will find that even if you reload, 45 is gonna cost more than 9 by about double.
The best for carry might not be the most accurate at the range though.

I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .40 cal and I have no complaints. I get some nice 2-3" groupings. Just make sure you get something that you can get ammo for in your area without always having to look online or reload. Convenience was a major factor for me.

Hard to beat Taurus for price. My main carry is a 24/7 Pro DS .45.
I have a 24/7 Pro C in 9mm too. It is a sweet shooting little gun. My wife loves that thing.

As most say in the replies best is to range test a few and see what fits you. Ask friends to borrow at the range etc. I have mutiple EDC depending on dress and weather. Everything from a full size 1911 to a Ruger LCP. My favorites are the Colt and G27. It does help that I reload most of what I shoot.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Springfield XD. The wife & I have three, all 9mm, two compacts and her subcompact for purse carry. Their line is ever expanding with a new XDs 45 single-stack coming up soon. We've put hundreds of rounds through ours, never a malfunction, range ammo at about $10 per box of 50. Paid $399 for each of them on sale. Very easy on the hand.

Mrugg,
What is the best? How many models are out there to choose from?

The one you shoot most accurately is the one you want. No, that is not a facetious remark. If you can not hit the target, hold on with the recoil, then it is not the firearm you want. Check out the local shops for a knowledgeable salesperson. Handle several models. How does it hold? Point (yes, POINT) when you aim down the sights? Are the sights clear, adjustable? Calibre is next step. Small hands? Bear paws? Average? Small to medium, try single stack 9mm or .45 in steel frames.

I carry a Colt Combat Commander .38 Super, Springfield 1911 Government .45, Colt Trooper MkIII .357 depending on reason and location. Open and concealed. Shoulder rig, IWB, OWB, all are dependent on what works best for you. For shoulder rig, I like my Blocker Lifeline rig (18 years of use), IWB, the CrossBreed holster or a Mitch Rosen Summer Special. Small of the back, DeSantis. opinions are a good place to find consensus for a start. Range time is where you find if they are where you need to start or a different firearm is for you.

Take care and be safe
pfb

I saw that you were reasonably new to the site and went back and read over your previous posts briefly before I decided on what to say about your question. I see that you already own some pistols and other firearms. And, you were in the military albeit back in the early 90's. So, you already know which end the bullet comes out of and that is a good thing.

Since you are planning on using this for CCW (CHL here in Texas BTW), fun range time, and home protection, there are several things to research. There are many in this forum and others like it that advocate having a compact handgun for CCW and a full size handgun and/or a shotgun for home protection. I certainly would recommend the same thing.

Your first step has already been taken. You've asked for advice here. You will get quite a few very good replies. Another thing to do is look at the various posts from the last few months just to get a feel for different guns. You will find people that stuck on one caliber, one type of gun, indeed, even a single manufacturer. Before you leap, look at it all. The next step in your research is to do what someone already suggested. Go to a couple of local gun stores and just ask to check out a few pistols here and there. See one that interests you. Ask to hold it. Go to gun shows and do the same thing. Does one of those gun stores have a shooting range? If so, they probably have a rental department. Go rent one or two and shoot some rounds down range. Check your accuracy. Check the recoil. Feel how it feels in your hand after it has a full magazine (not a clip).

Caliber, I would get what is comfortable to shoot (not below a 9mm however). I was going to go .40 for myself, but then I noticed how much more expensive it was than 9mm so I decided to go for a 9mm.

For your CCW, I would recommend that you look at the following guns: Springfield XD Sub Compact 9mm, Ruger SR9C (this is what I went with and I like it alot), and Smith&Wesson M&P9C. All of these also come in a .40 caliber as well. They are reasonably priced in the price range that you are looking to spend. There are also even smaller handguns to look at for ultra concealability like the Ruger LC9, Kahr CM9 or CW9, Keltec PF9, Beretta Nano 9, Kimber Solo 9, etc.

For Home Defense, you wouldn't go wrong to get the full size versions of the ones I already mentioned. If you were willing to spend some more, you could also check out the "better" brands like Beretta, Sig Sauer, H&K, and of course the .45 1911 manufacturers like Para Ordnance, Kimber, Rock Island Armory, Springfield Armory, etc.

The two main shotguns I see consistently mentioned for home defense are the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870. There are, of course, many, many others that are probably just as good or better, but hey, it's a shotgun, it's designed to shoot pellets of various sizes in a spread pattern. How much different are they going to be other than how many rounds does it hold, how long is the barrel, and is it a pump action or semi-auto.

Good luck with your search. May you never have to use it in self-defense and only for fun range stuff.

I am a former deputy sheriff, reloader and amateur gunsmith. It is my considered opinion you cannot do better than a Springfield Armory XD(M) 40. It is available in 9mm, .40S&W and .45 ACP. the XD(M) models come with a match barrel, and parts that allow you to custom-fit the grips to suit your hand. Glock is a decent gun, but I think the SA weapons surpass the Glock. They have met or beat the Glock in Glock's own torture test. The SA pistols have a similar trigger safety, but it is metal, not plastic, and the SA has a grip safety similar to the old 1911. I carry the regular XD40, as I can't yet get the XD(M) I carry it 24/7 and love the deel, the low perceived recoil, reliable function and accuracy. good luck.

Thanks for all great info everyone.
I will try to reply to you all.
I consider myself a pretty hefty man@6ft inch tall 370lbs.pretty big hands.
I already have a S&W .357 MAG.WITH A 6 INCH BARREL.
I already have a pretty good shotgun Win. model 1200 turkey gun 24 inch barrel.
The pistol is in my eye's to big to carry.(my opinion)
.45 is probably to expensive to shot.So I will probably lean more torwards .9mm or .40
No shooting ranges around here fairly close anyways that rent's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back