Stand Your Ground...Against Dogs??

gman1

In Georgia, if you're attacked by a wild or domestic dog and use your concealed carry weapon to defend yourself, can the action still be considered by police as a firearm discharge offense?

I've run 40-50 miles per week since the 1980's. I've encountered every mean dog you can imagine. Rottie's, GSD, pit bulls, etc. I never met one that needed to be shot. A stick, rocks or simply running the dog usually works. My favorite is to turn and chase the dog hard and fast. He rarely stands his ground. I understand there are nutso dogs that will be a problem but try other means of running him off before you wack him. Samr as people, the gun is a last resort.

I've had an experience with dogs that needed to be shot. Two years ago, prior to getting my cwp, I was riding a bicycle when two 70 pound chow/pit mix dogs decided it was time for a leg of Tom meal. One I killed by a very very lucky but well placed kick to the back of the head, one chomped on my thigh for what seemed like an hour and a half. If I would have been carrying, there would have been 2 dead dogs. When the county police came to interview me he said, 'I bet you wish you would have had a gun with you.' Don't leave home without it now. Lots of feral dogs, hogs, coyote and bear in my area....and an occasionaly BG too.

I've had an experience with dogs that needed to be shot. Two years ago, prior to getting my cwp, I was riding a bicycle when two 70 pound chow/pit mix dogs decided it was time for a leg of Tom meal. One I killed by a very very lucky but well placed kick to the back of the head, one chomped on my thigh for what seemed like an hour and a half. If I would have been carrying, there would have been 2 dead dogs. When the county police came to interview me he said, 'I bet you wish you would have had a gun with you.' Don't leave home without it now. Lots of feral dogs, hogs, coyote and bear in my area....and an occasionaly BG too.
You can't outride the dog?

As I recall in the state of Missouri, The law reads like this, "You have the right to use lethal force if you feel you or your loved ones are in danger." The law does not state where the "Danger" is coming from. I had a family member a few years back that had a dog attacking his daughter. He shot the dog. The police issued him a ticket for the discharge of a firearm in the city limits. He went to court to fight it out. The judge ruled in his favor because of that law. If a dog attacks me, he is going to die from lead poisoning.

I had 4 large pitts break down my fence a couple of years ago, before I started carrying concealed...I asked the police if I had shot one or all of them, cuz my two dogs were outside and one was only 3 months old at the time, would I be in trouble....They said I wouldn't...we will see for next time...lol carry all the time now!

It's not usually a single dog you have to worry about, but in groups they can me far more dangerous.

When I used to race bicycles I had many chase me while I was out training. Once after a particularly hard stretch and a long uphill I had a dog chase me. I could not shake him going up the hill. The pain from trying to sprint up the hill was getting so bad I figured the dog bite could not be much worse, so I unclipped from the pedals and stopped. The dog started wagging his tail and just sat there beside me, kinda like saying that was fun can we do it again!!!

It would take a lot for me to feel threatened by a dog, but if I was. I would take my chances fighting a firearm discharge citation before being mauled by a group of dogs.

There are certain behaviors that dogs display that tip you off that you're in trouble. These two came around the corner of the house and split, each coming at me from a diff.erent direction. As I said before, one clamped onto my thigh and was trying to pull me down while the other had his front legs on the handle bars and was snapping at my face. My first thought was to try to grab the dog in the front of the bike by the throat but then the opportunity to kick at him came and I took it. Fortunately it connected and the other dog released me. I am a 6' 3" 240 pound 57 year old in fairly decent shape...a kid would have been dead.

In Georgia, if you're attacked by a wild or domestic dog and use your concealed carry weapon to defend yourself, can the action still be considered by police as a firearm discharge offense?

Every state is different you need to check your laws. Here the law specifically says you can kill an animal if it attacks you. However, case law shows people getting jammed up for discharging guns in town because the law doesn't say what you can use to kill them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back