Stacking 4hr Illinois Ccw classes.

Foxtail

Has anyone received in writing that students can use more than one 4 hr class? I have instructors stating that you can only use one four hour previous training class. Only eight hour exemption would be the classes that are rated for eight hours. No four hour classes are approved,so students must take the full sixteen hours.

Has anyone received in writing that students can use more than one 4 hr class? I have instructors stating that you can only use one four hour previous training class. Only eight hour exemption would be the classes that are rated for eight hours. No four hour classes are approved,so students must take the full sixteen hours.

The eight hour credit for military (active, reserve, or retired with honorable discharge), is the only credit that is written as being mandatory. All other credits must be on the state approved list, and, they are at the discretion of the instructor. You might have multiple CCW permits, maybe, even an NRA instructor qual, but, depending on the Illinois CCW instructor, he may or may not give you credit for any of it.

I spoke to the State Police about the confusion in their guidelines. The only thing written about mandatory minimum training, are those posted by Grizzer. Nothing is written about a limit of prior training credit. They're suggestion, was to shop around for your instructor. I have been doing just that.

Last week, I found an instructor who only allows the military credit, if the person's DD214 specifically lists a firearm qualification. The law says, the credit shall be given, if the DD214 says the person was honorably discharged. My DD214 does list special firearms quals, but, that instructor will not be getting my business.

It's a mess. There are instructors that aren't even giving credit for the DD214s. For the DD214 credit the law reads
The Department shall accept 8 hours of training as
completed toward the 16 hour training requirement under this Section, if the applicant is an active, retired, or honorably discharged member of the United States Armed Forces.
and for other training credit
The Department and certified firearms instructor shall recognize up to 8 hours of training already completed toward the 16 hour training requirement under this Section if the training course is approved by the Department and recognized under the laws of another state. Any remaining hours that the applicant completes must at least cover the classroom subject matter of paragraph (4) of subsection (b) of this Section, and the range qualification in subsection (c) of this Section.

Why they made the wording different is beyond me and ISP is interpreting the law the way they like. At least until they get called to account. Luckily the instructors who aren't accepting DD214s and prior training credits are the minority.

I just did my training and the guys just had me take the 8 hours(I have Florida and Utah)
They have 4,8, 12 and 16 hour courses. I paid $100 for the 8 hours.
I won't put their name here but if you are interested pm me

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I just did my training and the guys just had me take the 8 hours(I have Florida and Utah)
They have 4,8, 12 and 16 hour courses. I paid $100 for the 8 hours.
I won't put their name here but if you are interested pm me
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I think either you or the instructor is mistaken. The only ISP approved classes are 16 and 8 hour for CCW and 3 hour renewal. You can check your instructor here http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/CCWApprovedCurriculum.pdf

Students may stack up to 8 hours, meaning they may stack previous 2 classes, if these classes are approved. Still trying to get confirmation if students can take a 4 or 12 hour class for those who have 4 hours of credit. State says sure but won't approve a curriculum unless 8 or 16 hours.

Grizzerr, wrong link. Check this one: http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/CCWPriorTrainingCredit.pdf

Not sure what is wrong. That's the same link I had in post #3

I was replying to post 7, not 3.

The form does show 4 hour credits would be given for various classes such as CFP, Utah, Florida, Nevada etc... Now that I re-read, I think I may have originally misread your post #7 to say that 4 hours wouldn't count. But like I said now that I re-read I am seeing something different. 13 hours straight staring at the computer will do that to you.

I was replying to post 7, not 3.

The form does show 4 hour credits would be given for various classes such as CFP, Utah, Florida, Nevada etc... Now that I re-read, I think I may have originally misread your post #7 to say that 4 hours wouldn't count. But like I said now that I re-read I am seeing something different. 13 hours straight staring at the computer will do that to you.

Okay, just wasn't sure and I know what you mean about staring at the screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back