Sr9 & sr9c

onetuza

Anybody find the very small safety lever on the SR9 & SR9C problematic? Is it possible to have a gunsmith modify it? Any aftermarket improvements out there? It's really my only gripe about this gun.

Actually, no. Fell under the category of muscle memory for me. A bit clumsy at first, but now it's pretty much automatic. It also get's easier as you cycle the safety over time.

My $0.02 - a real gunsmith (ie NOT a "remove and replace" armorer) should be able to machine a more prominent replacement safety switch for you. Not sure what the cost would be, though.

I've never found the OEM part to be a problem on my SR9C. Your thumb, hand size and mechanics could be coming into play. Might be worth a call/email to Ruger. Get an estimate from a real gunsmith first, might be worth considering a different firearm.

I dont use the thumb safety with the extra safety on the trigger when i am carrying..At the range its easy to flip the safety off with a swipe of the thumb when you draw..It just takes a little getting used to..the SR9C and SR40C make a great carry firearm.JMO

A good gunsmith can modify any gun, but will the modification interfere with the conceal ability and or ability to draw? I think this is more about familiarity and muscle memory. The safety does need to be worked a bit to take the stiffness out of it though.

I checked an SR9C out at gun store and you can make it hot easily pushing down but pushing up to put it on safety was nearly impossible. (Better than the other way around, but still a pain) Anyway, now I'm thinking I want a thinner gun to replace my Kel-tec PF-9. I may have to ignore my dislike of the Walther mag release and get a PPS 9.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back