SR40c

njsportsman

Was wondering what the consensus of the Ruger SR40c is here? Don't see it on the list of popular carry guns but see the SR9c. Does anyone have any insight yeas nays etc. Thanks

I own an SR9c and it shoots great and is very reliable. My choice was simply based on cheaper ammo and technically it's my wife's carry gun :)

In any case, the 40 is just as nice, albeit a little harder to locate IMHO.

Level Sights Firearms Training
http://www.levelsights.com

I have both and they are both great guns. I have not had any problems with either. The only advantage is 9mm is cheaper.

I had the opportunity to learn to shoot via a good friend last year (Age 62) I tried out his wife's .38 Charter revolver, his SR9C and his SR40C. And boy did i ever enjoy shooting his SR40C. I (First time shooting) did very well despite the added kick of the .40S&W. So that Nov 2012, I purchased an Ruger SR40C and have had my TX CHL for about 7 months. I like the advantage of going from the 9+1 (I always have one in chamber). I prefer the pinky extension on the short magazine though i have seen a video review where the reviewer filed it down a little (Need a Dremel for that). But to have a spare magazine (or two) of 15 is really comforting. The trigger and reset are very smooth. Some people complain about the Safety over kill on the SR series. I have no problem with the Manual Safety or the passive trigger safety. I am not particularly fond of the safety that prevents the gun from firing if magazine is out, but it is not a deal breaker with me. I also like the very obtrusive CHAMBER LOADED INDICATOR. My only complaint is that the spring on the SR40C makes it hard to charge the battery. But with time and dry fire the slide does become easier to rack . Ruger might not have the LEO or Military contracts that other Firearms manufactures have... They do know how to make a well made civilian firearm. If perchance you do have any issues with a Ruger (I have had none so far) I understand their Customer Service is really A-1 (from what I have read).Link Removed

Link Removed

I chose the SR40c as my first handgun due to its reliability, accuracy, size (not too small, especially w/ the extension or the 15 rd mag), but most of all, the manual safety. Some may argue that in the heat of the moment, you may forget that the safety is on, but I will argue that with practice and repetition a quick thumb swipe is all someone would need. I have children in the house, and regardless of the fact that it's locked in its safe, I wanted the extra safety features to prevent an accidental firing should it end up in the wrong hands.

I love this gun.

Greg

I had the opportunity to learn to shoot via a good friend last year (Age 62) I tried out his wife's .38 Charter revolver, his SR9C and his SR40C. And boy did i ever enjoy shooting his SR40C. I (First time shooting) did very well despite the added kick of the .40S&W. So that Nov 2012, I purchased an Ruger SR40C and have had my TX CHL for about 7 months. I like the advantage of going from the 9+1 (I always have one in chamber). I prefer the pinky extension on the short magazine though i have seen a video review where the reviewer filed it down a little (Need a Dremel for that). But to have a spare magazine (or two) of 15 is really comforting. The trigger and reset are very smooth. Some people complain about the Safety over kill on the SR series. I have no problem with the Manual Safety or the passive trigger safety. I am not particularly fond of the safety that prevents the gun from firing if magazine is out, but it is not a deal breaker with me. I also like the very obtrusive CHAMBER LOADED INDICATOR. My only complaint is that the spring on the SR40C makes it hard to charge the battery. But with time and dry fire the slide does become easier to rack . Ruger might not have the LEO or Military contracts that other Firearms manufactures have... They do know how to make a well made civilian firearm. If perchance you do have any issues with a Ruger (I have had none so far) I understand their Customer Service is really A-1 (from what I have read).Link Removed

Link Removed

What is that holster you are using?

I have the SR9c and my buddy has the SR40c. They are both great guns. I chose 9mm simply because it's a little cheaper so I could shoot it more often. I've put about 800-900 rounds through mine of various brass and steel ammo. The only issue I ever had was a couple light strikes in 1 box of TulAmmo, but since it was isolated to that one pack. That was several hundred rounds ago so I never gave it any thought after that.

I actually bought mine without ever having handled it until after the purchase. I read up extensively on models available in that size range and wanted one with good safety features since I have kids in my house. You can actually remove the mag release safety very easily if you choose. It's just a piece of spring loaded plastic in a goove between the striker and firing pin. Strip the gun, take out the striker assembly and leave that piece out.

I own a SR9c and the SR40c and wouldn't trade them for anything. great shooting handguns. I'm waiting for Ruger to come out with an SR45c, fingers crossed...

My wife carries the sr9c and I carry the sr40c. They are very good firearms. The trigger is a delight and accuracy is tremendous. The low cost of either one should not scare you away from them...I guess 450 is a low cost compared to sig or hi end s&w. Go get it, it won't be a mistake.

I have a sr40c. Nice shooter. Nothing bad to say about the sr40c. To me it feels like it has less recoil than other .40 i have shot.

It is my main carry gun along with my lcp.

I had a sr9c but got rid of it to cut down on some guns.

I own a Ruger Sr40c and it absolutely disappears when carried a Crossbreed SuperTuck. The gun shoots very well and has been 100% reliable. My only complaint with the gun is that the grip seems to be a bit small for my apish hands and can be difficult for me to hold onto.

I own a Ruger Sr40c and it absolutely disappears when carried a Crossbreed SuperTuck. The gun shoots very well and has been 100% reliable. My only complaint with the gun is that the grip seems to be a bit small for my apish hands and can be difficult for me to hold onto.

I tried the ARCHED back plate for the grip, it was too big for my hands, but the flat side (Just remove and flip it over ) was perfect for my average hand.

Are you using the 10rnd mag or the 15rnd mag? I myself have "apish" hands and I agree the 10 rnd mag is difficult but the 15 rnd fits like a glove.

Sent from my MB860 using USA Carry mobile app

Whenever carrying concealed I prefer to use the 9 round magazine without the pinkie extension for the better concealment but I have also been known to carry with the 15 rounder on occasion. It may sound odd but for me the issue with the grip isn't so much the grip LENGTH as it is the actual girth of the grip. No matter how tightly I squeeze there always seems to be some play on the sides of the grip. The full length magazine is definitely a little more controllable though.

Well finally made a decision. I was back and forth between the SR40c and the M&p 40c. I had a heck of a time choosing and I went with the SR40c. Mainly because the reviews were really good on both but, the trigger on the SR40c I think beat the M&P in most if not all reviews. From what I gather either would have been a great choice but the SR40c got the win on the trigger. Yea people complain about the thumb safety and LCI and I admit the LCI was a tough sell but I accepted it and if I went with the M&P I would have gotten the thumb safety anyway so it came down to the LCI so, I wasn't going to let that stop me from what I thought was the better of the 2. I have shot the SR9c and loved the gun so, I think the SR40c was the better choice. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back