Speer manual's ballistic calculator

thru

Banned
plug in the .22lr's velocity, bullet shape and material, and SEE how much "power" a .22 rifle has left at 1/4 mile. :) With a heavy coat on,, you can cover your neck and head with your arms, turn your back on it and LAUGH. Ditto a 4" barreled .22 handgun at 300 yds. It will have all the power that a bb gun has at 10 ft of range :). The 1 mile plus thing on the .22 cartridge box is presnt because most people are VERY poor at guestimating ranges, especially beyond 1/4 mile, and "non-lethal" does NOT mean that it won't put out an eye, won't break glass, etc. The.22 rifle can still do those things, at perhaps 1/2 mile. The Army has determined that the piercing of a 1" thick pine board is the limit for "mininum lethality. They derived that from a .25 ACP pistol, since the .25 IS just "barely lethal" and WILL just barely penetrate one such board.

People LIE or don't have the facts straight, all the time, partner. It was probably pointed pellet, from a rifled arm, at MUCH more velocity than the 400 fps attained by a regular BB gun. People drop dead all the time, of all sorts of silly things. If this is the best you can do, why bother, hmmm?

I've been shot by a BB gun at 10 ft. Yeah, it hurts and even broke the skin. (ahh the good ole days having bb gun wars in the woods using ski goggles for eye protection) Anyways, I know from experience that an adult being shot by a bb gun at 10 ft is not lethal as long as it is not a head shot and even then I doubt the lethality. I urge you to get one of your friends, pace off 300 yards and have him shoot you with a .22 long rifle. Wear all of the clothing you want but definately do not forget the ski goggles. Let all of us know how that goes for you.

plug in the .22lr's velocity, bullet shape and material, and SEE how much "power" a .22 rifle has left at 1/4 mile. :) With a heavy coat on,, you can cover your neck and head with your arms, turn your back on it and LAUGH. Ditto a 4" barreled .22 handgun at 300 yds. It will have all the power that a bb gun has at 10 ft of range :). The 1 mile plus thing on the .22 cartridge box is presnt because most people are VERY poor at guestimating ranges, especially beyond 1/4 mile, and "non-lethal" does NOT mean that it won't put out an eye, won't break glass, etc. The.22 rifle can still do those things, at perhaps 1/2 mile. The Army has determined that the piercing of a 1" thick pine board is the limit for "mininum lethality. They derived that from a .25 ACP pistol, since the .25 IS just "barely lethal" and WILL just barely penetrate one such board.

But a shot gun with #8 will take out a flock of starlings at 80 yards? You're assessment of of velocities and power seem to vary greatly from post to post. I bet you will not stand 440 yards downrange and let someone fire a .22 at you. If you do PLEASE make sure the vid gets uploaded to YouTube..

plug in the .22lr's velocity, bullet shape and material, and SEE how much "power" a .22 rifle has left at 1/4 mile. :) With a heavy coat on,, you can cover your neck and head with your arms, turn your back on it and LAUGH.

Hmmmm...... Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that be about 440 yards?

When I lookup the numbers in Winchesters data sheets I find that the 25 is rated at 66 ft-lbs at the muzzle while the .22LR is 131 ft-lbs from a rifle and 94 ft-lbs from a pistol, at the muzzle (and that is the cheap bulk pack). I also recall seeing a video recently showing a Ruger 10/22 cleanly penetrating a 1” pine board, with out any splintering, at 400 yards. The only reason they didn't push it any further was because they could not hit the board beyond that range. The implication was that if the target was close enough to be hit, the .22 LR could be dangerous and even lethal.

Based on these two things, I am not sure I would be so quick to claim that a .25 pistol has more energy than a .22 LR Rifle, or that it is more deadly (which is what you “seem” to be doing, again please correct me if I am wrong).

Now, I realize that pine is a soft wood, but it was used by the US Army, for quite some time, as the standard in determining whether or not a round has enough power to kill a person. I also realize that this is no longer used as a standard, but I would certainly not count on it bouncing off at 440 yards just because I was wearing a coat and scarf and turned my back.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back