Son's T-Ball Bat!

legamin

Street Rat
More years ago than I care to admit, I had many afternoons of fun with my son smacking the baseball off the stand using a beautifully custom fit wood bat weighted and perfect for his 6 year old frame. There were home runs! But I digress... Nearly three decades later we are cleaning house and come to this wonderful memory. It felt good in my hand again but there was no good reason having it as grand kids r all girly girls. Sweet as can b... But I still couldn't let go so I tucked it away in my bedroom with some other things.
One day I enter my house and go to my bedroom for slippers and hear a noise in another room. I instinctually grabbed the bat rather than my pistol (don't know why) and went towards the noise. Younger fellas unknown to me looked at me and said "who the hell are u?" I echoed the question and ran at them bat swinging. Grateful for every skill the Army gave me plus one finely tuned bat...the police came and accepted my explanation that they came at me (then fell a lot) as the young men were screaming that I was crazy.
Friends, I used much of your time when I could have just said "use what is at hand..and will get the job done." Having done my job well in the military I know there are few things that stain your memories like having to use deadly force and then see the results of your handiwork. Avoid it if u can, use it if u must.

Well stated legamin. I guess my only question/concern would be: Before you entered the room, how did you know they; a) weren't high on meth, b)armed to the teeth and knew you never come empty handed to a "job", c)professionals who might have easily overpowered you? Had you entered the room with your weapon, don't you feel you would have had more options? Just asking.

Lets look at the definition of a threat. A person or thing capable or has intent to do harm. Like 123 Magic, 1. They dared to asked who you were in your own home. They are a threat. 2. They did not flee when challenged in your own home. There is intent. 3. All bets are off.

I already wrote out what to do in a different thread but to summarize. Your the victim, let them know by yelling so anybody within ear shot can testify that you were clear a concise in your command! Get out, Get out, I'm Armed and the police are on their way. They arrive thank you thank you I'm willing to cooperate in filing charges. The moment they start treating you as the bad guy, I don't feel comfortable in answering any questions without my lawyer. Keep saying lawyer.

That is the problem with us. It's better to be beat to death and they do a post investigation into your death then dealing with the thugs where no deaths had occurred.

Sons t-ball bat

Well stated legamin. I guess my only question/concern would be: Before you entered the room, how did you know they; a) weren't high on meth, b)armed to the teeth and knew you never come empty handed to a "job", c)professionals who might have easily overpowered you? Had you entered the room with your weapon, don't you feel you would have had more options? Just asking.

My knowledge of intruders tells me they are often semi or dis-organized. The fact that they were surprised and stupidly asked "who the hell are you?" When pros would have had an exit plan, and of course no one can anticipate when another person will be "high on meth". It's a non issue when you are investigating a noise down the hall rather than distinct voices.
I have strategic firearms placed in my home for retreat and arm situations. And perhaps you are right, I was naive in just relying on my old 'hard charging' ways from back in the day. I would have been justified in using deadly force in a three to one situation like this. Just isn't my first go-to instinct when I sense another scenario is plausible.

You could easily be sued into eternal poverty for cruel and unusual or 'extreme' measures when a regular bat does the job.

I may sound naive here, but wouldn't the responsibility have been on you to leave the situation instead of involve yourself? Engaging is the last option - right?

I'm not sure what any of your somewhat conflicted answer had to do with my situation.
There is no ridiculous set formula for dealing with intruders. Yelling and hoping someone hears is like expecting the intruder to admit why he's there! Once you have ascertained what the devil is going on, you form your plan an go in hard charging!
There are so many ways to deal with a threat. Most can be worked through with a calm voice and memorizing a good description once you let them go..being the good chap you are. Some just need a bat to even the odds and teach idiot twenty-something's some respect for other people's property and the legal system. And yes some will require a gun.
But you should know that few LEO's will ever draw their weapon to fire at another human in their entire career. And of those that do there is a remarkably low 20% kill rate. Remember, your worst day on the range you will by far out perform your finest hour in a real life situation under pressure.
Be prepared. Practice safety and proficiency. Know your state, local and county laws by heart and find a well versed lawyer who will sit with you for a few hours and explain, instruct, advise and give you the 'reality' of how things will pan out for you in court if you pull and fire your weapon. If after all this you still want to carry and be one of us....welcome

@vsinn2000. And let them tear apart my life and make me feel unsafe in my own home? You must be an idiot liberal! My responsibility is to protect and maintain the sanctity of my home. My home, my sanctuary. I keep it at peace for me and my family. I take THAT responsibility very seriously!

When you come past my lights, two 90lb attack dogs, alarm, cameras and no trespassing signs and enter my home without my permission, you must be high on meth and will be going to the hospital or morgue for treatment, sorry for those of you who go to morgue they have a poor survival rate.

@vsinn2000. And let them tear apart my life and make me feel unsafe in my own home? You must be an idiot liberal! My responsibility is to protect and maintain the sanctity of my home. My home, my sanctuary. I keep it at peace for me and my family. I take THAT responsibility very seriously!

Exactly! I had a break in while I was home, not once, but twice since I bought this house. Buying it makes it mine, not the law's, not the state's, not the trailer trash down the street who seem to think it belongs to them...JUST MINE. I must be the king of this castle. Your home is your last place of refuge, at no time should you ever relinquish control of your home.

No matter how you handle it, people on this site will try and tear you down and find a hundred things wrong based on how THEY would handle it. They don't know the layout of your house, but will claim expertise and say "hide in your 'safe room' and call 911. (Why? So there's no description and no chance of ANY positive outcome?). They seem to forget how many of us out here are veterans and KNOW how to clear buildings foreign to us (like it's not always at the back of our minds) and fail to realize that we are the masters of our homes.

You did good. Taking a life is the last resort. That's why I keep myself physically and mentally strong through Shorin-Ryu Karate and TaeKwon Do and have not just guns, but other blunt and sharp instruments, including a baseball bat, a shovel, a few kabars, a katana, my favorite bo...hidden throughout my house. I even have a steel hatchet hidden because you never know. You instinctively grabbed what worked out the best and solved the problem. They won't be back.

I may sound naive here, but wouldn't the responsibility have been on you to leave the situation instead of involve yourself? Engaging is the last option - right?

Interesting...first post.
1099.gif

If I'm in a room in my house and 3 people who came in from outside are in my room then I'm already involved --- I didn't involve myself, they involved me outside of my volition.

If your daughter is on the sidewalk and 3 idiots begin feloniously handling her, you would probably appreciate someone involving themselves in the situation whether by gun, knife, brick, or blunt attached weapons (hand, foot, elbow). Buttttt -- you think I should leave my home to lowlifes so they know where the free party is?????????????

If the bad guys are in your house, I believe the castle doctrine "assumes" they are there to do you harm, and therefore, there is no obligation to retreat. Please correct me if I am wrong. What is prudent is another matter.

Really, you posted such libtard insanity on this forum. Shouldn't you be lurking on "Libtards R us" forums.

Nobody invades my domicile without being challenged with extreme prejudice as a reward. Beat down with a bat is getting off light.

Sent from my ADR6400L using USA Carry mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back