Smart Carry Thoughts So Far

Jeff S

JSGlock26
Been wearing my Smart Carry for a few days and this has been my experience so far. I carry a Glock G26 Gen4 and I am a lefty. 5'5" 144 lbs (good shape no stomach to speak of). I have tried Thunderwear recently but did not like the fact that the gun would actually get moisture on it. Sometimes between boxers, an undershirt, and a regular shirt tucked, humidity would build up slightly. Hasn't happened with the Smart Carry at all since they use different materials making the product. That is enough of a difference to make me never use the Thunderwear again.

Although the instructions recommend the item being centered when wearing, I have found that wearing it more towards the 1:00 position (probably 11:00 for righties) is the sweet spot for me. That puts the top of the slide by my inner right thigh and the butt centered on my body. Makes the gun feel like it disappears. It is never pointing at my privates or my leg eventhough that is the question I see or complaint I read online from those who have never tried one. I also tried to pull the trigger while in the holster (unloaded of course) and COULD NOT DO IT. This is another concern I read from those who are making assumptions without experience. I carry with one in the chamber and have absolutely no concerns.

I would imagine that the size of the individual and size of the gun COULD make this holster a bit less comfortable. A short legged individual would probably feel less comfortable with a larger gun just due to the size of the actual carry area compared to the gun. Not saying it couldn't be done (full sized 1911 is shown being carried on their website), I'm just merely saying that I wouldn't want to go much larger than my G26 given my body type with this type of carry.

I prefer holsters that make my body support the weight of the gun instead of my pants or belt supporting my gun (Smart Carry and the FusionPac). Again, this is my preference. It is nice concealing my weapon without needing a belt, wearing sweats, etc. I basically never have to take it off which lets me wear my gun more often no matter what I am doing. Also with the Smart Carry, it is nice to carry an extra mag without having to attach something else to me somewhere.

It is also very comforting here in NY to not worry for one moment that someone may make my gun. You can't get much deeper concealment than this. Mentally very comforting. As far as the draw, it isn't really slower compared to having to pull out a tucked shirt or lift up an untucked shirt when drawing. The gun is right there in front a slight pants pull away. I don't see that being an issue. So there you have it. Just some observations so far. Make sure you get information from people who use the product you are interested in instead of what someone thinks who has never tried it. Hope this helps those considering this type of carry.

Good description/report. I also have a smartcarry, and agree with all of your observations.

Your report was quite hard to read because it was all in one single paragraph... you may want to edit it and break it up into several to make it more reader friendly.

Use mine for the G26 (Service Technician) so I'm always bending over and twisting in stupid positions. Can't beat it!

Thanks for the excellent report. I had some concerns with this rig (without trying it) that you have addressed. I think I will actually buy one now.

What about drawing from a seated position, either in a car or at a table (restaurant-type setting)?

Bob - with practice, again it isn't terrible compared to untucking and drawing or lifting a shirt and drawing for me. Being left handed, it may be different for me compared to a right handed draw especially in a car. Like anything else, the more you practice the more you improve.

Thanks. Does it seem pretty comfortable when sitting for a long time (multi-state drive, for example)? Thinking seriously about one of these, and I really appreciate the time you're taking here.

Any thoughts about switching between a revolver and auto in the same holster?

What is nice about Smartcarry is you can buy the large size, and use a safety pin to size it for smaller weapons.....

It can therefore be used for a large variety of different sizes (you wont need drawer full of different holsters)

Bob - it works great for me sitting when driving but honestly I haven't had any very long drives wearing it. I can't really see it being a problem but again, I am not speaking from experience. Should be good with both types of guns. The best thing to do is contact SmartCarry with the revolver/auto question. I'm sure they can help. They have a 60 day satisfaction policy so if you try it and it doesn't work for you I guess you can just send it back. Can't really lose. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back