Slowly, my collection grows

Lakeland Man

Last week I picked my 4th gun. I bought a Mosin Nagant, complete with bayonet and accessories and ammo for just over $100. Now I have the MS, my Mossberg 12ga, a Charter Arms. 38 snub, and my EDC weapon, a Ruger SR9. This is the most guns I've ever owned at one time. Also, I picked up 300 rounds of 7.62 x 54r ammo for the Mosin for a little over $60.

Seeing as price is very much a concern for me, any suggestions for my next purchase? Anything over $350 or so will have to be saved up for.

I started when I was 10 with my first 22. I now have more then need but not as many as I want. As far as what you get next buy what YOUR like.

Most cheap milsurp 54r is corrosive. If you use it you must immediately clean the rifle or it will start pitting. Most recommend soapy water followed by a regular cleaning. Just a heads up

Last week I picked my 4th gun. I bought a Mosin Nagant, complete with bayonet and accessories and ammo for just over $100. Now I have the MS, my Mossberg 12ga, a Charter Arms. 38 snub, and my EDC weapon, a Ruger SR9. This is the most guns I've ever owned at one time. Also, I picked up 300 rounds of 7.62 x 54r ammo for the Mosin for a little over $60.

Seeing as price is very much a concern for me, any suggestions for my next purchase? Anything over $350 or so will have to be saved up for.

And now everyone on the internet knows exactly how many guns and rounds of ammo you have. Briliant! Congrats!

Okay, excellent choices for home defense, personal carry and now, long range sniper. How about an intermediate range tactical defense rifle? Since your budget is a concern (me too), I would suggest looking at a Saiga AK variant. With a little searching you can still find one for $400 - $450. Love mine. Also, when you're done firing your Mosin for the day just squirt some Windex through the barrel until it drips out the other end and then clean as normal. The ammonia in the Windex neutralizes the corrosive salts left in the barrel by the Russian ammo.

Good luck with your MN. I bought one a few years ago for $79 and it is a blast to shoot. Who would of thought that for a firearm that cost next to nothing you could have so much fun. I recently bought a scope and recoil suppression pad and it makes quite a difference. I have less the $150 in the rifle and scope and the thing is deadly accurate. As a previous poster advised, if you're using the surplus ammo, make sure you clean it well after every range session. Never thought about the windex, but that is a good idea.

Good stuff, I love my Mosin... I've got the M44 carbine though, pretty cool. Buying firearms can be addictive... but, it's one of the more useful things to be addicted too ;)

Before you know it, you'll have a dozen... then two dozen... and so on....

Rounds, phew.... 1K... 2K... 5K... 10K.... 15K... 20K! Man! I'm running out of room!!! Lol...

Good luck! Be safe!

I would invest in a cheap .22LR next, or a conversion kit for one of your handguns if they have them.

A Walther P22 can be found for under $300, as can a Ruger SR22, which both hold 10rds of .22LR. There's also the Keltec PMR-30, which holds 30rds of .22 mag, but they're pretty difficult to find unless you really look.

If you'd rather have a .22LR rifle, you could get a Mossberg 702 Plinkster for around $100. Magazines run $10-15/ea, and hold 10rds. They do make 25rd magazines, for around $25/ea. I've had mine for over 5 years and ran probably 25k through it, and it's still extremely accurate, just as the day I got it. The trigger kind of sucks, it has a lot of take-up (seems like 1/2", but probably not) and a really gritty break, but it's extremely fun to blast through box after box of ammo with regardless. I've killed many a chipmunk, squirrel, crow and rabbit with this rifle.

You could also get a Nagant revolver to match the Mosin for $90, which shoots 7.62 Nagant ammo that runs about as much as .40 S&W.

@OtisM - Oh My God! Someone knows I own guns and ammo. What are you...12? The population of my town is over 95000 people. Even if you take away half for being female, that still leaves plenty of males to sort through until you get to me. I'll take that chance. Besides, you don't know HOW much ammo I own, just that I bought 300 rounds for ONE of my guns.

Sorry everyone. I don't suffer fools well anymore. Life is too short. I had heard about the windex on the long gun forum but I haven't fired the MN yet. Looking forward to it.

I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of the. 22lr. I first fired one when I was in the Boy Scouts and I've kinda thought of it as a kiddie caliber ever since. Great for plinking, but not much else IMO. But thank you for the suggestion. It was very detailed and informative.

I like the idea of the knock-off AK and the Nagant revolver. I never even thought about the revolver. I had been thinking about an AR-15 knockoff, but I didn't have a lot of respect for it in the Army, so I probably wouldn't in the civilian world either. But I'm willing to keep an open mind about it. I had seriously thought about an M1A but they are more then I can afford until I hit the lottery.

Thank you all for the suggestions and I'll let you know what I decide on.

I was going to suggest a good .22 as your next purchase too. I love getting out and shooting my .303 and Remington 870 as much as the next guy, but for just plain old fun, I don't think anything really beats .22LR. I've got a Marlin 880SS that I use to shoot golf balls and lately, paintballs at 100 yards with. I bought my wife a Marlin 795 recently which is a blast to shoot (we went through about 500 rounds the first time we had it out). And I think my next purchase will be a Ruger MKII Target. If you want to just have a lot of fun shooting a lot of rounds, especially on a budget, .22LR is the only way to go.

The last time I was out at a private range with one of my buddies, we brought along a lot of guns in a lot of calibers for a whole day's worth of shooting, but ended up spending half the time just messing around with .22s.

I third the .22 suggestions. Try a Ruger 10/22 for the rifle and one of the various .22 semi autos from Ruger, Browning or Beretta. They are fun to shoot. Everything you work on with them transfers over to any other gun and they are really cheap to shoot.

You can get a brick of .22lr and shoot all afternoon. Great cheap fun.

I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of the. 22lr. I first fired one when I was in the Boy Scouts and I've kinda thought of it as a kiddie caliber ever since. Great for plinking, but not much else IMO. But thank you for the suggestion. It was very detailed and informative.

I respect your opinion on the .22LR, but remember not only has it been around since the late 1800s, it was used for many, many years as the caliber of choice for assassins. Prostitutes also used it in their derringers as a self defense caliber back in the olden days, as well. It's also been used to take much game over the course of it's history, and I'm sure fed many a family.

It doesn't hurt that it's $20 for a brick of 550, either. :)

But yes, let us know what you decide. If you don't want a .22LR as you've stated, you can build a good AR-15 for $575-650, get an M1 Garand through CMP for $500, get an SKS for $200, an AK for around $350, a Marlin lever-action for $300-400, Mossberg 100 ATR in .308 (poor man's Remington 700..very accurate).. well you get the idea. I've had my eye on an M1A for a long time too but it's not in the cards right now. I'm investing in reloading equipment and supplies instead.

And now everyone on the internet knows exactly how many guns and rounds of ammo you have. Briliant! Congrats!

What's the difference if he lists them or posts a pic and talks about a new purchase and someone just adds the posts up? If he puts his address and times he wont be home that maybe a concern but until then let it be.

Guys,

Otis is one of our resident Trolls, just click on his name and click ignore ;)

I also have a S&W 22A for plinking and training family. Lotta fun :cool:

@OtisM - Oh My God! Someone knows I own guns and ammo. What are you...12? The population of my town is over 95000 people. Even if you take away half for being female, that still leaves plenty of males to sort through until you get to me. I'll take that chance. Besides, you don't know HOW much ammo I own, just that I bought 300 rounds for ONE of my guns.

Sorry everyone. I don't suffer fools well anymore. Life is too short. I had heard about the windex on the long gun forum but I haven't fired the MN yet. Looking forward to it.

I like the idea of the knock-off AK and the Nagant revolver. I never even thought about the revolver. I had been thinking about an AR-15 knockoff, but I didn't have a lot of respect for it in the Army, so I probably wouldn't in the civilian world either. But I'm willing to keep an open mind about it. I had seriously thought about an M1A but they are more then I can afford until I hit the lottery. Thank you all for the suggestions and I'll let you know what I decide on.

By "knock off" AK, what do you mean exactly? I own three Century Arms AKs(most people consider junk) and they have been flawless! 100% reliable with a mix of ammo, accurate for AK standards, and I've beat the hell out of one of 'em(personal testing) and it keeps on tickin'... So, if a Century Arms AK is your idea of a knock off... GO FOR IT!!! They're pretty damn good firearms.

I share your feelings towards the direct impingement AR platforms... I don't like them, I don't trust them... They can be fabulous when maintained with the utmost care, but that isn't what I want in a combat rifle. I carried one for 7 months in the mountains of Afghanistan and developed a distaste for it... and a love for AKs. Now, a piston system AR is another story... however, I don't like the price. $1200-1500 seems to be the going rate and I'm not going for it.

I'd love to have an M1A, but again... the price is a problem for me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back