Slow Motion Mag Exchange Training (for beginners)

walknotinfear

I found this guy on this site. I love looking around YouTube and I thought I would post it. He looks like he is trying to pass on his knowledge to beginners. I like that he calls his videos garage firearm training. Was wondering if the blue tape on the garage door was bullet holes?

Garage Firearm Training (Mag Exchanges) - YouTube

I like to have the spare magazine in hand and indexed before hitting the release. Also in a Tactical Exchange, grab and stow the half empty magazine instead of letting it hit the floor.

+1 to Nick. I agree with having the full magazine in hand before releasing the other mag. Also, I wouldn't sweep your firearm 90 degrees like the guy in the video did. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. The guy in the video swept to his left a full 90 degrees and started to lift the muzzle into the air.

However, getting training advice from someone who also posted this video on YouTube is probably not the smartest idea either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAcoH8yLJ-4&feature=youtu.be

I like to have the spare magazine in hand and indexed before hitting the release. Also in a Tactical Exchange, grab and stow the half empty magazine instead of letting it hit the floor.

I was taught 3 different exchanges and the one you described is called a administrative exchange. (LEO academy).

Just what I was taught.
1) Tactical
2) Emergency
3) Administrative (I think this is what they called it, can't remember)

I use the tactical during a pistol match. The one you described was back when I was in law enforcement. When there was a long break in a gun fight we would place a new mag in and place the other in a pocket. Great advice by the way, thank you.

+1 to Nick. I agree with having the full magazine in hand before releasing the other mag. Also, I wouldn't sweep your firearm 90 degrees like the guy in the video did. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. The guy in the video swept to his left a full 90 degrees and started to lift the muzzle into the air.

However, getting training advice from someone who also posted this video on YouTube is probably not the smartest idea either: iMovie Trailer Garage firearms training - YouTube

I checked out the other videos he has and most of them are funny family videos he made. Looks like this guy just has a great since of humor and loves his children. Just my opinion, just because the guy can make fun at himself doesn't tell me a thing about his experience and or background. I would not get expert advice on firearm tactics on YouTube from any of the thousands of videos. I just thought it was worth a very small conversation on this site. Thanks for your time and input.

Here is another one of his videos. Looks like he knows a little about pistols.

I checked out the other videos he has and most of them are funny family videos he made. Looks like this guy just has a great since of humor and loves his children. Just my opinion, just because the guy can make fun at himself doesn't tell me a thing about his experience and or background. I would not get expert advice on firearm tactics on YouTube from any of the thousands of videos. I just thought it was worth a very small conversation on this site. Thanks for your time and input.

Here is another one of his videos. Looks like he knows a little about pistols.
Garage FirearmTraining - YouTube

Thanks.

I looked at this other video you showed me too. He's got great presentation from the holster. Support hand on his chest while drawing... draws to his chest, meets with support hand and then pushes the firearm out toward target. Excellent.

However, in every one of his mag changes, notice that he sweeps the firearm 90 degrees to the left and points his gun upward. I certainly hope I'm not the guy next to him on the firing range next time he decides to do a mag change. We will have words. There are times that it becomes necessary to do a mag change even if you have one in the chamber. Let's say there is a lull in a fire fight and you have spent some rounds. You want to make sure you have a full magazine. With his apparent muscle memory (he performed every mag change exactly the same way) he would be sweeping people. To me this is not safe and should not be encouraged.

Thanks.

I looked at this other video you showed me too. He's got great presentation from the holster. Support hand on his chest while drawing... draws to his chest, meets with support hand and then pushes the firearm out toward target. Excellent.

However, in every one of his mag changes, notice that he sweeps the firearm 90 degrees to the left and points his gun upward. I certainly hope I'm not the guy next to him on the firing range next time he decides to do a mag change. We will have words. There are times that it becomes necessary to do a mag change even if you have one in the chamber. Let's say there is a lull in a fire fight and you have spent some rounds. You want to make sure you have a full magazine. With his apparent muscle memory (he performed every mag change exactly the same way) he would be sweeping people. To me this is not safe and should not be encouraged.

Good eye. On the range during a pistol match this also would be a red flag. The guy may have received some law enforcement training in the past because that is the way I was trained when I was on the job when I was a younger man.

When I started to compete in USPSA matches I was quickly instructed not to have my pistol pointed like that or I would be disqualified. So now when I make the mag exchange I now ensure the muzzle is pointed down range. Thank you for your valuable input on this subject.

I shoot right handed and keep my spare mag. in a case on my left side at about 8 o'clock. The case is nylon with a Velcro flap. I can drop my empty mag and replace it from my case in about 3 seconds or less. I make sure that the spare mag. is in the case so when I reach for it , it is in a position so there is a natural motion to my gun, and is in the correct position. Helps to try this a few times to get a natural coordination. If you don't do this, you may end up putting your spare mag. in your gun backwards, then have to stop, reposition(rotate it 180 degrees) it and reinsert it. If you are still alive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back