Sks

boxers.forever

NRA Member
I'm thinking of buyins a SKS rifle. It has a stock 10 Rd. mag. on it. I would like to change the mag out to a 20 or 30 Rd. mag. From what I have seen on the internet I will have to do some sanding on the wood stock to make it work. Can anyone tell me if this is the way it is or is there some kind of Mag. out there that I want have to mod. my wood stock

SMS mod

Unless you're set on the SKS platform, or just looking to enjoy such a project, why not consider an entry-level AK? Given the prices that decent SKS are going for nowadays, you'll have a far better end product for a relatively small investment.

The SKS is a better "quality" rifle. I own/owned many SKSs and AK variants. I suggest enjoying the sks as it was designed.

:ph34r: If you change any stock import firearm, you now must make sure you have the correct number of American made parts. Once you change the stock configuration, you've altered the firearm, and fall under 922r compliance regs. You may also be violating State regs, which may be even stricter.

This can become an issue if you sell it, or get yourself hooked up with the ATF, or State Police. Don't listen to the "that won't happen", or "I've never heard of anyone getting busted." This is the law, and when you see Bikers, Supremecist Groups, and others being charged with weapons violations. These, among others are the violations used to give them prison time. When you hear them say illegal sales, manufacturing without a license, posession of illegal firearms. These are most commonly cheap, altered AK's, SKS's, and modified shotguns. They fail to meet the legal requirements of State and BATF regulations.

These laws are used, and though you may not be a felon altering and running guns. You still want to know and follow your State and Federal Laws. You don't have to worry about maintaining your right to posess firearms, if you know your legal expectations as a gun owner.

For the extra money you will spend on compliance parts, you might as well buy a new Ruger Mini 30. They have a few different models, and high capacity mags. They have a warranty, and still shoot the inexpensive 7.62x39 round. You can also find used ones for a decent price, if you shop around. They perform just as well as the mini 14, and can also be customized, if you so choose. A good place to check out for custom Mini14/30 work is Ruger Mini 14 30 Rifles Barrel Conversions New Rifle Packages Accuracy Systems well worth the money, if you can afford it. They are perfectly fine out of the box too. Some just love to enhance their weapons performance, and firing capabilities. :biggrin:

There are also a few AR manufacturers who make a platform, that shoots this same round.

I've spent a good deal of money on custom parts for my SKS. Still, you will never recoup it if you sell it. They are reliable, cheap, mass produced weapons. Better to keep them stock if you don't have the money for compliance kits, or expensive customizations.

Just some info and ideas to toss around. Good luck on your next purchase. :big_boss: :ph34r:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back