Simulating Combat Stress in a Training Environment

k9ontheway

Improvise-Adapt-Overcome
Shaking hands, tunnel vision, loss of dexterity, etc. All are typical results of high levels of stress and adrenaline being dumped into the system in a "fight or flight" response in most individuals.

So what if you want to simulate, as best as possible, this level of stress during your live-fire exercises... how do you go about doing it?

If you want to train to really run that gun, how do you accomplish that?

Any input here, guys?

Last edited:
Hahahaha might be a little too realistic there :D

I was actually thinking about airsoft for force on force drills. It just seems a bit too pricey for what you get. Thanks for bringing that up ;)

If you want to do Airsoft, I would suggest going with gas blow back pistols. You can get some really high quality ones from EHobbyAsia. I've used a KSC G26, KSC G18C, and a WE XDM - they all run around $100, have metal slides, and are pretty realistic. I was almost unable to tell the WE XDM from my own XDM 40 when I sat them side by side, minus knowing my serial number and the certain marks on mine. Likewise, the G18C was very similar to the Glock 22 I carried for years on duty. We used them for training inside the office.

The rifles are kind of expensive and might not be worth it unless you plan on doing a lot of training, but for $100 a pistol (and they can use the same holsters as your carry weapons if you buy ones like them) the training received is invaluable.

Very good information, sir. Thank you.

How does the recoil feel on these weapons? I have a .45acp Glock 21 for EDC, do you think it would be able to somewhat realistically recreate the recoil of a .45 230gr round?

Oh no, not even close. It's about the level of a .22LR, if that even. The blow back action really depends on the weight of the slide. Since the gas used (green gas or propane) doesn't actually explode and has a very finite amount of power it's able to use, the heavier the slide is the more gas would be used to push the slide back and less to be used to actually propel the BB. Some of the rifles have on-board compressors that compress the green gas to give a stronger push, but I don't know of any pistols that have this feature, certainly not any in the $100 range. The ones with the metal slide (like the G18C) have a decent level of recoil, but it's still not that "thump" you'll get when firing a real handgun. What they will teach is being quicker lining up the sights, some minor handling, etc.

Your other option is to try to procure Simunition rounds. They're essentially still limited to LEO agencies and military (not to mention expensive at $1/rd in most cases, and limited to 9mm or .223), however a civilian running a training program is able to go through Simunition's training program to become certified to purchase these rounds. I'm sure the cost of this course would outweigh any other option available.

Without spending big, big bucks, there isn't really any way to truly simulate force-on-force training and also get realistic recoil and trigger feel. It's going to be a case of figuring out how much you really want to spend vs what you're willing to accept as good training. I can tell you my department used the Airsofts, and we trained extensively using them. They sure beat carrying the blue weapons and shouting "bang" when we were doing out drills in schools and other buildings in town. Either way though, there's no replacement for actually getting out and shooting your weapon of choice at some paper (or steel :laugh:).

I have heard it suggested that you do 200 jumping jacks before begining your drill. it won't simulate the arenalin dump but it will get your heart rate up.

We trained to run at least a mile to two miles just as fast as you can possibly do. THE IDEA was to PUSH yourself to the NTH degree, then without rest , water or any other distractions, take a position draw and shoot a full course. You'd be surprised with the results.

I'm not saying that every shoot that you may have to do is going to be adrenaline pumping at full speed through your body, but you train for the max and hope you don't have to react at that degree.

Anything to restrict your vision. We used to use the riot style helmets in training and tape the viewing area even smaller and play force on force.

The problem with that is that part of training should be to overcome tunnel vision which can't be done with a physical barrier

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back