Sight Alignment Question

Hag1998

The problem I'm having is that at greater than 25 feet, if I aim at the center of the target, I drop low and to the left. At 20 yards, I have to aim at the 8 ring, 2-o'clock to hit center consistently. Any ideas why this happens consistently, no matter what handgun I use, and what I can do to fix it? Rangemasters kind of give me an odd look when this happens. :unsure:

It is more than likely a trigger puller problem. Try a dry fire exercise. Watch the sights and start pulling back on the trigger. You will most likely see the barrel drop downward and to the left. Don't be in a state of denial as to get yourself back on target you need to be aware of what you are doing. It is a muscle reaction to the feel of the trigger.

Likely pushing the trigger left. Laser training can be good for helping with this. Heard to believe a range matter would not suggest this.

Make sure you exhale and hold your breath when you fire. Even inhaleing can throw you off.

If you have gone through the gamut of proper grip, proper trigger pull, sight alignment, breathing control, and stance, then I will ask you if you are male and what your age is? If you answer yes and in your 40's - 50's I will say get your eyes checked. This happened to me, and I needed to get a bifocal prescription specifically for my front sight. I didn't realize until I got the prescription how clear the front sight was supposed to be. After the prescription, I hit everything I aim at from 3 feet to 25 yards.

I had same issue and two things helped me. 1) dry fire as jimth siad and 2) get some snap caps and load, you for sure will see with your own eyes that you anticipate the bang, flash and recoil. Snap caps only will diagnose what is going on and dry fire and your mind will do the rest. I am still not where I want to be but a lot better. I saw a video about how your pinky finger is enough to cause this problem and the recommendation was to lighten up on the pinking finger squeeze. Seems to me that is not really the answer especially if you have to get a grip quickly and draw. Also, thedark is right that it is about trigger control. Dry fire.

It is more than likely a trigger puller problem. Try a dry fire exercise. Watch the sights and start pulling back on the trigger. You will most likely see the barrel drop downward and to the left. Don't be in a state of denial as to get yourself back on target you need to be aware of what you are doing. It is a muscle reaction to the feel of the trigger.

If this happens with several different firearms, I doubt its the guns fault, most likely you pulling left with your trigger pull, if you can try to get a gun with a lazer and dry fire with the lazer on however fire the gun using the guns sights at the same watch the lazer and you probably will see the lazer dot move as your pulling the trigger to fire, this is why you shooting is off, its not a big deal you just have to train yourself to not wiggle the gun while pulling the trigger

Thanks, It has been suggested that I do pull or push when triggering, Never thought about using the laser and or snap caps to see where the problen starts.
And yes, As Wolf_fire said, I am over 50 and a male, I guess I should get my eyes checked again. Thanks, Mike H

Thanks, It has been suggested that I do pull or push when triggering, Never thought about using the laser and or snap caps to see where the problen starts.
And yes, As Wolf_fire said, I am over 50 and a male, I guess I should get my eyes checked again. Thanks, Mike H

Always check to make sure it is not technique first. Check your grip.. one Range Officer said if you hold on to your firearm so tight that you just start to shake and then ease off, that is about how tightly you want to be holding it. When dry firing, place a coin on top of the front sight. You should be able to pull that trigger back 1/4 lb 1/4 lb 1/4 lb 1/4 lb until it is pulled all the way and that coin should stay put. When you get to the point that every time you squeeze the trigger that coin stays put, you have trigger control down.

The laser techniques and the snap caps are great tools as well.

If these things don't fix the problem, get your eyes checked and if need be get the bifocals (progressive lenses) so that the bottom portion of the lens is putting the front sight in focus. You may call ahead of time and see if they would be accommodating to you bringing in your firearm. My doc was fine with it.

I don't know if it will help but I sometimes tell new shooters with little or no experience, to go to Wally World and get one of those Co2 bb pistols, the gun itself and trigger pull is very light, do some practice in your basement, it sort of serves the same purpose of dry fire but it lets you see what your doing

I had a problem of shooting low, too. It wasn't until I bought an LC9 with CT laser that I discovered I was dropping the muzzle just before the pistol fired. It was in that last little bit of pulling on the trigger. It was practice with my laser that got me over that habit.

Keep your thumbs relaxed while squeezing the trigger. If you are gripping with your thumbs, you lose some of your trigger finger's ability to operate correctly.

Lower left is nearly always due to anticipation of the recoil. It is a trigger pull problem. Of course if you are a lefty then it is usually lower right.:wacko: Unfortunately the reason I know this is that I had the same problem. It isn't 100% but it is the most likely answer.

If the gun is too big in the grip area, a double stack 9mm or a S&W N frame revolver, often the shooter hold the gun with their hand on the side of the grip, the backstrap not centered on the palm with the wrist and arm bones aligned and the trigger is pulled sideways. When the trigger breaks, the gun will move as the trigger over-travel allows the uncontrolled movement.
Make sure the gun fits your hand, make sure your grip is such that the barrel, wrist and forearm are aligned. Then use the pad on the tip of your trigger finger to press the trigger straight to the rear. If the trigger reach is too long for your hand/fingers, get a shorter trigger [easy to do with a 1911].
Also, get a GripMaster hand exerciser and strengthen your fingers. You can squeeze the 3 fingers and hold the pressure and then squeeze the trigger finger independently, a very good exercise.

I thank all of you for the insight to what may be the answer to the problem I have been having. I will try some if not all of these to work it out, I guess that I will have to do allot of training to get it into my mussel memory. Thanks again, Mike H

If the gun is too big in the grip area, a double stack 9mm or a S&W N frame revolver, often the shooter hold the gun with their hand on the side of the grip, the backstrap not centered on the palm with the wrist and arm bones aligned and the trigger is pulled sideways. When the trigger breaks, the gun will move as the trigger over-travel allows the uncontrolled movement.
Make sure the gun fits your hand, make sure your grip is such that the barrel, wrist and forearm are aligned. Then use the pad on the tip of your trigger finger to press the trigger straight to the rear. If the trigger reach is too long for your hand/fingers, get a shorter trigger [easy to do with a 1911].
Also, get a GripMaster hand exerciser and strengthen your fingers. You can squeeze the 3 fingers and hold the pressure and then squeeze the trigger finger independently, a very good exercise.

Do you suppose my shot placement would improve if I held the gun sideways like the boys in the "hood"?

Lower left is nearly always due to anticipation of the recoil. It is a trigger pull problem. Of course if you are a lefty then it is usually lower right.:wacko: Unfortunately the reason I know this is that I had the same problem. It isn't 100% but it is the most likely answer.

You are right, I'm sure it was in anticipation of the recoil, plus on the LC9 you have such a looonnng trigger pull. I have part of what I need to shorten the trigger pull from Galloway Precision, but the shorter trigger pull bar is still MIA. I don't know why they are having so much trouble getting them in, but there are apparently a lot of people waiting for them. I got an email one day that they were back in stock, but they were gone again by the time I got there. Maybe someday. But, in the meantime, I bought an SR9 and an SR9c.

No one can can hold a pistol perfectly still while shooting. The key to firing accurately is to accept the movement, and continue to increase pressure on the trigger until the hammer falls. Of course, the sights must be kept aligned while doing this. I would bet your problem is that you are forcing the shot when the sights are centered on the target, guaranteeing misalignment of the sights.

Dryfire is a good training aid in learning trigger control. Simply aim the pistol at a blank wall (no aiming point to distract you), and while keeping the sights perfectly aligned, press the trigger straight back in an uninterrupted, smoothly increasing pressure until the hammer falls. If the sights remain steady (aligned) when the hammer falls, you have fired a good shot. If the sights move, something went wrong. Assuming your trigger press was correct, you may have to adjust your grip or placement of the finger on the trigger, etc. You want to be able to consistently pull the trigger without disturbing sight alignment.

When you get to the range for live fire, everything still applies, but now you have a target to aim at. Once your arc of movement has settled to its minimum (maybe a couple seconds) start the trigger press, and while allowing the sight picture to move around the target, keep the sights perfectly aligned until the hammer falls. You will be amazed at how much the sights can move away from the center of the target and still be a good shot.

Low left hits are the classic sign of jerking the trigger, think press the trigger, not pull. Another problem can be, finger placement on the trigger, too much finger causes pressure on the left side of the trigger, too little pressure on the right. Remember to place your finger so that you press straight back on the trigger. As others have stated, dry fire is one of the best methods to learn trigger control. Aim and press the trigger, with no ammo in the area, when the trigger breaks (carefully watching your sight alignment), see if the gun moves, if it does, your trigger control needs work. After mastering trigger control, and being sure of proper grip, you still have hits off center, adjust your sights.It might help to get competent instruction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back