Sig models

Neal

I am going to show my ignorance here (nothing new) :biggrin:

I am looking for a small pocket gun WITH a thumb safety. I saw a Sig model 380 that fit this description earlier this week, and although it is fairly pricey I am thinking of picking one up for summer carry. I would be interested in people's opinion of the Sigs. The are a high end model, but I would like to hear from those who have used them or own them about how they feel.

Thanks,

Neal

I am looking for a small pocket gun WITH a thumb safety. I saw a Sig model 380 that fit this description earlier this week, and although it is fairly pricey I am thinking of picking one up for summer carry. I would be interested in people's opinion of the Sigs. The are a high end model, but I would like to hear from those who have used them or own them about how they feel.

Thanks,

Neal

Neal,

I dont have the P238,but I do own four other Sigs (P220, P228, P229 and P225) and I love them all..they are by far my favorite handguns. They are pricey, but the old addage you get what you pay for, is very true. Having said that, guns are like underwear..you need to find what you like before you buy it, especially if it's for concealed carry..so go out and fondle as many as you can at the gun shops, and shoot as many of those as you can before buying, because you might decide that you find something other than a Sig :pleasantry:

Thanks,

Neal

I have an older SIG Pro in .40, and I love the gun. It is harder to conceal because it is pretty much a duty sized handgun, but I would stake my life on it. It has about 4,000 rounds thru it and the only time I remember is choking is on some lousy reloads my brother had. Not the guns fault. You will not go wrong with a SIG!:pleasantry:

My wife owns a P238, and she loves it. She has shot about 200 rounds through it without an issue.
The sights are good for such a small gun.

The only negative (if you call it that) is that the gun has a 1/2 cock position, but from that position the trigger will still drop the hammer whether the safety is on or off.. So I'm not sure what they were thinking...

SO, for the safety to work, the pistol needs to be in the fully ready position.
Other than that, she is fully satisfied with her purchase and experience..
You can also find holsters, magazines, etc for this pistol as it is a remake of the Colt Mustang.

24vtyxw.jpg

The only negative (if you call it that) is that the gun has a 1/2 cock position, but from that position the trigger will still drop the hammer whether the safety is on or off.. So I'm not sure what they were thinking...

Yah but does it fire from the 1/2 cock position, or is it double action, and this is how you lower the hammer?

My wife owns a P238, and she loves it. She has shot about 200 rounds through it without an issue.
The sights are good for such a small gun.

SO, for the safety to work, the pistol needs to be in the fully ready position.
Other than that, she is fully satisfied with her purchase and experience..
You can also find holsters, magazines, etc for this pistol as it is a remake of the Colt Mustang.

24vtyxw.jpg

Don't know your serial number but here is a recal from Sig on 238's:

"Dear SIG SAUER Customer:

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238™ pistols. We have determined that a small number of P238 pistols may have safety levers that are not manufactured to factory specifications. Under certain conditions, it may be possible for the lever not to be completely engaged in the safe position. In this condition, the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, when the safety lever is moved to the off position, the hammer may fall, with the remote possibility that the gun could fire unintentionally, thus creating a risk of injury or death.

There have been no reports of any injuries or mishaps; however, in accordance with SIG SAUER, Inc.’s commitment to provide customers with the highest quality products and services, we are issuing a P238 Mandatory Safety Upgrade, to return the identified product to factory specifications. Upon receipt of the firearm, SIG SAUER will, at no cost to the owner, eliminate the risk identified above by replacing the subject part and performing functional upgrades that have been incorporated into the P238, subsequent to its introduction. SIG SAUER will return the firearm, pre-paid, to the owner as quickly as possible.

If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. An operator will take your information and confirm if your firearm is required to be returned for Upgrading. If necessary, you will receive a certified package from SIG SAUER that will contain a UPS shipping return label, a Return Merchandise Authorization Number, and a box to return the firearm. Simply affix the provided UPS shipping label to the supplied box (completely covering the existing shipping label) and bring the box to a designated UPS drop-off location. Please be certain to include the magazine along with the original SIG SAUER blue gun box. If you have questions or would like further information, you may contact SIG SAUER CUSTOMER SERVICE at 603-772-2302 (Choose Option # 3).

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your immediate cooperation in the return of your P238 handgun.

Sincerely,

SIG SAUER, Inc."

I own a Sig P239 .40 DA/SA and have not been happier. Cannot beat the quality. A very reliable handgun with NO fail to function events. The DA/SA does take some time to adjust to due to the different trigger pull poundages. Once you have practiced enough it becomes a natural refleive action.

Concure with the previous remarks about going out and trying various types before you put this type of money on the table.

Sig P238

I have this model and I am not a fan of being able to fire the gun from the half cocked position with safety ON. :fie:
I have not checked it out and tested whether it will actually fire a live round like this or not but I also wonder what they were thinking. The safety recall does not address this condition. I do like the gun though and have a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck IWB for it that fits nicely.
:biggrin:

Don't know your serial number but here is a recal from Sig on 238's:

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238™ pistols.

If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216,

This is great info - Our P238 is above S/N 7xxx, so it is not involved in the recall.

Yah but does it fire from the 1/2 cock position, or is it double action, and this is how you lower the hammer?

The P238 is NOT a double action pistol, it is a single action pistol.
To be clear, the trigger does not drive the hammer backwards, the slide does. IF you put the pistol on half cock and you pull the trigger the hammer falls against the firing pin. It does not fall very far and I am unsure whether the pistol would actually fire or not, but that is my point..
IF you put the pistol on half cock, then you have to manually pull back the hammer with your thumb to the fully cocked position for the weapon to be fully charged.

The safety is made to be very positive and I have no concerns with the gun falling off safe mode unintentionally.
SO, my wife carries the pistol fully cocked with the safety on with one in the chamber.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back