Should I lend my handgun to a friend?

crosshairz

We are in WI and I have a close friend that is going out west hunting. He asked if he could borrow my hand gun as a side arm (protection from bears and stuff). My thoughts are that it might not be a good idea since I am the owner of the gun and could be help liable if anything happens involving the gun. For what it's worth, it's a Springfield 1911 .45

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this?

If I were in that situation, it would be an automatic NO response from me. To much liability to take on, even for a close friend.

Yeah no. If you REALLY want to for some reason, sell it to him before he leaves and have him sell it back when he returns (provided all applicable laws are followed, of course). And if you don't trust him enough for that deal, you definitely don't trust him enough to loan it to him.

He's doesn't find the need for a handgun, so he doesn't want to spend the money on a handgun for just this one occasion. It's kind of funny, because he gives me crap about my passion for our 2nd amendment and my concealed carry permit...now he's asking me to borrow my handgun. I would say he's a bit on the liberal side I guess.

...so for discussion purposes, what if he asked if he could borrow my shotgun for deer hunting. Is that any different?

Doesn’t matter what it is, I don’t loan out anything unless I’m willing to lose it.

That said, provided that the transfer is in accordance with state law (doesn’t matter if you loan it, give it or sell it the law’s going to say it was a transfer) I don’t see how you would be held liable for anything a non prohibited adult does with a handgun you loaned him unless it could be proved that you had reason to believe doing so would needlessly endanger others.

So, if liability is the only issue follow applicable state laws and go for it.

Liberals hunt? Oh, like John Kerry. "Hey You all, anybody know where a guy can get a huntin' license 'round cheer?

Unless something changed you can transfer a gun in Wi without paper work.
That's a fairly expensive gun to be loaning out.

He's doesn't find the need for a handgun, so he doesn't want to spend the money on a handgun for just this one occasion. It's kind of funny, because he gives me crap about my passion for our 2nd amendment and my concealed carry permit...now he's asking me to borrow my handgun. I would say he's a bit on the liberal side I guess.

Have him buy his own damned handgun and then sell it after the trip if he doesn't want to keep it. And if he's going out west, he should be thinking .44 mag, .454 Casull, .500, or something similar to defend against bear.

What a liberal mentality. You have what I want, now gimme.

Personally, I don't lend firearms, motorcycles, tools, nor money. Anything else? Well, no one has asked for anything from me other than that. The answer would most likely be no though.

Yea, he just finds a need for YOUR HANDGUN!

Is this your frieind, do you trust him, is his life going to be in danger without your hand gun, I'm guessing he will have a rifle with him if he is hunting. Has he ever fired your 1911, will he be with a guide ? he will not need a handgun If he is with a guide,If he is carring a rifle he will not need a hand gun.If he needs a hand gun for bear out west a 44 mag. or larger would be better, also bear spray is less expensive and very effective.I wish your friend good luck on his hunt, but I feel there are better choices than your 1911 for protection.

I have a firm rule of never lending firearms. I will let people shoot them on the range and stuff but only if I'm there. I never let my guns out of my control ever.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back