Shooting Range without permit, NY or nearby

eros18

I'm looking to take my brother to a shooting range for his birthday. We both live on Long Island and as I understand it we would be unable to handle a gun, even at a range due to the permit laws.

Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, is this also applicable in NJ and PA. I'm just looking for a quick class and maybe an hour on the range.

Any information is appreciated. Thank you!

Confirmed!!!

I'm looking to take my brother to a shooting range for his birthday. We both live on Long Island and as I understand it we would be unable to handle a gun, even at a range due to the permit laws.

Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, is this also applicable in NJ and PA. I'm just looking for a quick class and maybe an hour on the range.

Any information is appreciated. Thank you!

No shooting, handling or even breathing on pistols without a permit. PA is no problem, take him to the poconos "sunset hills shooting range" google it! New Yorkers are Welcome!

There may be a loophole under NYS law, or at least one gun range I know of thinks there is.

They insist that it is legal for a permit holder to rent a gun from them and then allow a non-permit holder to use the rented gun on their indoor range as long as the permit holder is present on the range.

No shooting, handling or even breathing on pistols without a permit. PA is no problem, take him to the poconos "sunset hills shooting range" google it! New Yorkers are Welcome!

ricardo900, thank you for the suggestion. We visited Sunset Hills this past Saturday morning. Got there early around 10:30am, figured we would have more room to roam and shoot at our leisure. I was right! By 12:30 the place was packed...at least 6 other groups were waiting.

We had a great time, the instructor was patient and walked us through everything. We handled pistols (Glock, desert eagle and Baretta), rifles (AK w/scope, AR-15 w/red dot sight (?) and .308 military sniper) and of course Shotguns which we ended with by skeet shooting!

Already planning a trip there again next month.

I was wondering if anyone knows what is required to get a permit in Nassau county (NY). I'm just looking to keep a handgun at home for safety and be able to go to a range.

ricardo900, thank you for the suggestion. We visited Sunset Hills this past Saturday morning. Got there early around 10:30am, figured we would have more room to roam and shoot at our leisure. I was right! By 12:30 the place was packed...at least 6 other groups were waiting.

We had a great time, the instructor was patient and walked us through everything. We handled pistols (Glock, desert eagle and Baretta), rifles (AK w/scope, AR-15 w/red dot sight (?) and .308 military sniper) and of course Shotguns which we ended with by skeet shooting!

Already planning a trip there again next month.

I was wondering if anyone knows what is required to get a permit in Nassau county (NY). I'm just looking to keep a handgun at home for safety and be able to go to a range.

Go Here!
Link Removed
While you wait, get your Florida & CT non-res. Also, if you take the NRA Basic Pistol course in CT, you can rent any firearm from places like Bridgeport Shooting Range or Forest & Fields in Norwalk, CT. They'll rent you a gun, sell you a couple of boxes of bullets and targets and you are on your own! Have a ball!

Why would anyone choose to live in such a butt sucking place that requires a permit to HANDLE a firearm?

Go Here!
Link Removed
While you wait, get your Florida & CT non-res. Also, if you take the NRA Basic Pistol course in CT, you can rent any firearm from places like Bridgeport Shooting Range or Forest & Fields in Norwalk, CT. They'll rent you a gun, sell you a couple of boxes of bullets and targets and you are on your own! Have a ball!

wow, would they like my arm and leg too? I guess I will have to stick with getting the CT non-res. Don't want to give up my FL drivers license either. I get harassed more in FL about having a NY drivers license than I do in NY about having FL license.

thank you for all the info ricardo900

nothing pleasent about the place !!

I was born a raised in N.Y. and I still can't think of anything good that ever happen except mabe a few good bowel movements,I guess @ 18 I was pretty smart to get out now 55 !!!:laugh:

There may be a loophole under NYS law, or at least one gun range I know of thinks there is.

They insist that it is legal for a permit holder to rent a gun from them and then allow a non-permit holder to use the rented gun on their indoor range as long as the permit holder is present on the range.

He cannot shoot in NY. The only exemption is under S265.20 of the penal law which states that a person between the ages of 14 and 21 can shoot under the direct control of an instructor. After 21 he can't shoot even with an instructor. Stupid law eh?

NY sucks A$$!!

wow, would they like my arm and leg too? I guess I will have to stick with getting the CT non-res. Don't want to give up my FL drivers license either. I get harassed more in FL about having a NY drivers license than I do in NY about having FL license.

thank you for all the info ricardo900

I spoke with the manager at Sunset Hills and these guys are literally rolling in cash! 80% of their business are New Yorkers & New Jersey and here's the kick, wait..., wait for it....., $1+ a round:hang3: Yeahh, I said it! If you rent a 9mm glock they will charge you $8 for 7 rounds:hang3:
Don't even ask about shooting magnums!
See for yourselves!
Pistols ~ Sunset Hills

A good source on Firearms laws - specifically handguns - is Link Removed. It covers every state, as well as recpirocity and links you to each states laws.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back