Shooting Range Time Logs

Pygmalion

Having been a first-time firearm owner for about a year now (Spring 2013), and as I put more and more rounds through my Glock 19, I fee like I should keep a log of my range time for various reasons. One of which is knowing about how many rounds you've put through your weapon, which I think would help determine maintenance benchmarks (much like a mileage on a car). Secondly, as many of you more seasoned gun owners probably know, it might be good to keep track of this sort of thing as you shoot/acquire more than a few different firearms.

For those of you who keep a range log, things I'd like to hear from y'all are:
  • what kind of notebook/journal/software you use
  • what kind of information you put in it and how you arrange it (ex: having a column to write malfunction type (FTF, FTE), etc.)
  • pictures/screenshots!

Link Removed and Link Removed are some interesting military-style logbooks I found on Amazon that might be nice for this.

Thanks for sharing your process!

Agreed, you should be able to do whatever you need with Excel or any other spreadsheet app.

I used to do this diligently; I'd write the details (all that you mentioned, plus with which hand(s) I was shooting, ammo type, mag #, and I think some other fields as well) in a paper notebook at the range and then transfer the data to my spreadsheet.

Nowadays I don't bother with all this, it really was overkill, but I think there's a happy medium someplace where you can still get the benefits (advance knowledge of service milestones) without killing yourself over the data maintenance (which, I have to add, robbed some of the fun from shooting).

I haven't figured out yet where that happy space is, but if I were to start over again today, I'd probably just keep note of roughly how many rounds I shot today (rounded to nearest 50) and call it good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back