Shooting My new Mossberg 590

JohnLM

I went to the range today to shoot my new Mossberg 590. This is my first time shooting a shotgun and man is my shoulder sore. I got it for home defense and it is a weapon I don't plan to shoot often. I went and got a recoil pad. My question is will the pad make a difference? Can I please get some input on how I can make my shooting less painful? THANKS

Yes, the recoil pad will make a difference. It helps to keep the butt held firmly against your shoulder when firing it. Don't allow the butt to get a running start before it hits your shoulder.

If you're at an outdoor range with cold weather, thick clothing can help. Also, hunting and shooting jackets have extra padding on the shooting shoulder.

If you're going to do a LOT of shooting, you may want to consider using a lighter load as well.

Also, physical conditioning can help; exercises to build up your shoulder and pectoral muscles.

Hope this helps.

Well there are other ways to help lessen the felt recoil, one way is to replace the butt stock with a recoil reducing stock like the Knoxx stock by Blackhawk. but also is your technique. If you are leaning away from the gun with your weight on the back leg, then you aren't managing the recoil. It's managing you, also what load were you shooting?. It will take 3 in shotshells, But if you scaled back to 2 3/4 in, much less recoil. Federal has a reduced recoil SD load as well as slugs. Find out if there are any firearms instructors in your area, take a class or two. The Shotgun, at first is intimidating but after some practice it is quite an enjoyable thing to shoot. I have an M590, and i shoot it alot. Here is a pic of it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back