shooting gong

Raider-3

I don't have the tools to build one. I have been looking for something portable, can take 5.56 and .40, and is stationary. I don't want it knocking backward after after every shot because I will do rapid fire on it also. I have seen some websites with the sillwette gong, but it hasn't had a hole drilled in it and there is no mounting system to hold it up. Any thoughts?

Not trying to give you a hard ime but; Aren't you concerned about ricochets?
I learned my lesson a long time ago shooting at metal targets.
Good luck.

To be able to shoot it with a 5.56/.223 you'll need to have AR500 or better steel otherwise it will dent/punch holes through it. Any kind of dent or disformation will make the target dangerous to shoot at. Also don't use AP/steel core rounds. FMJ or hollow points are fine. On a gong ricochets aren't really a problem since the bullet gets fragmented into the ground as the gong moves backward. On the silohette style I believe those are put on a post in an angle so the same thing can happen. The bullet is fragmented in to the ground right by it. This only works if the target is in a smooth undamaged surface. If there are bends, dents, etc there is no way to tell where the bullet will go when it hits the target. I'm looking at buying some AR500 round gongs for my .308 and AR15. I've found them on a few sites but just haven't purchased one. Plan on making my own stand for it. From what I've heard make sure it is water jet cut so the hardness of the steel is not effected (same goes for the holes). If they use a plasma torch it needs to be done fully under water or the steel is compromised due to the heat. I'll also be using these for my .22's and .40's. Pistols/.22's will be at the 25-50 yards. Think its 50-75 for mag pistol. 100 yards for non magnum rifle rounds and 200+ for mag rifle rounds. Hope that helps. Just to a search on google for AR500 target. Then check online for the reviews of what people are staying about that companies steel or what others are recommending about the steel and process.

Deserteagle:306043 said:
I actually saw some small ones at Sportsmans Warehouse that claim they can take up to a .40SW bullet

Green mountain guns has a lot of varmit plinkers but when I use 5.56 I want to be smart about it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back