shipping lower frame of sig mosquito pistol

Steve40th

Do i need to go ffl to ffl or can i ship just the lower frame, no slide or barrel, via fedex .

Legally, to ship the receiver, you must go thru a dealer. In the eyes of the DEA the receiver constitutes the gun even though to those of us that know guns the idea is ludicrous.

Okay, I am shipping it via contract, FEDEX, to another state to an FFL. BATFE says I can do this.
"Shipping via contract carriers:
-Yes, as a non-licensee you can ship pistols through a contract carrier, but ONLY within the same state.
-Yes, as a non-licensee you can ship a pistol out of state, but ONLY to a licensed dealer. The BATFE states, “In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.”
“A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.” -BATFE
-And as an added bonus, “A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.” -BATFE

References:
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
BATFE states

Remember, most shipping issues come into play when you ship firearms across state lines. Within your own state, however, things are (usually) different. Also, remember that there are some significant differences with laws and policies when it comes to the USPS and a contract carrier. The main differences are with shipping handguns. As a non-licensee, you cannot ship pistols via the USPS. On the other hand, if you are an non-licensee, you can use contract carriers to ship handguns per the laws mentioned above.

The one thing to take out of this is to always check references when dealing with firearms. You don’t want to make a mistake when it comes to firearms. On the other hand, you may actually be able to legally do something that you thought was verboten. Please do yourself (and others within the firearms community) a favor and check your facts. Don’t take the word of your “buddy” or some guy in a chat forum, especially when it deals with firearms.

REFERENCE LINKS:
Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm#ep308518"

Wow. That is really impressive for a guy that can't even spell ridiculous. The truth of the matter is that the poster asked an open ended question about shipping a firearm. The "safe" answer to that question is that the frame as described by the poster, constitutes a firearm and all applicable shipping regulations are in effect even though this portion of the gun cannot by any stretch of the imagination fire a cartridge. The poster made no mention of who he was shipping to or any of the circumstances regarding the shipment. I think that you are the guy that you warned the poster about, an arrogant condescending boob that is trying to give legal advice, while in reality he lacks the ability to comprehend his own cut and paste answer.

Wow. That is really impressive for a guy that can't even spell ridiculous. The truth of the matter is that the poster asked an open ended question about shipping a firearm. The "safe" answer to that question is that the frame as described by the poster, constitutes a firearm and all applicable shipping regulations are in effect even though this portion of the gun cannot by any stretch of the imagination fire a cartridge. The poster made no mention of who he was shipping to or any of the circumstances regarding the shipment. I think that you are the guy that you warned the poster about, an arrogant condescending boob that is trying to give legal advice, while in reality he lacks the ability to comprehend his own cut and paste answer.
No, not what you think. I spelt ridiculous to be sarcastic.
I went looking for the answer as I had enough data here to research, therefore allowing me to search with different words.
There are ways to lower myself to your word-smithing to belittle me, but i will just let it go as you arent worth my fricking time.
Have a nice night.

Says the guy who posted
In the eyes of the DEA the receiver constitutes the gun even though to those of us that know guns the idea is ludicrous.

DEA has nothing to do with shipping of guns.

YOU can ship to FFL's, It's the other way around that doesn't work. Assuming this is warranty work, when it get's shipped BACK it will be to an FFL, not you.

I went looking for the answer as I had enough data here to research, therefore allowing me to search with different words.
There are ways to lower myself to your word-smithing to belittle me, but i will just let it go as you arent worth my fricking time.
Have a nice night.[/]

Well don't let the rich kid stand between you and that cure for cancer you have been working on. Arrogant sarcastic boob? If that was one word, your picture would be the dictionary definition.

Says the guy who posted

DEA has nothing to do with shipping of guns.

Sorry, I have DEA on the brain after my most recent encounter with them. Of course everyone knows its the ATF that oversees our three favorite things. Wow, talk about one stop shopping.

Rick Kid you are an arrogant condescending boob that is trying to give legal advice, while in reality lacks the ability to comprehend anything

Have a nice night.[/]

Well don't let the rich kid stand between you and that cure for cancer you have been working on. Arrogant sarcastic boob? If that was one word, your picture would be the dictionary definition.
Just go away now little kid, we got this. Or go play freeze tag on a highway, you are not needed for advice or retort. Move along

Rick Kid you are an arrogant condescending boob that is trying to give legal advice, while in reality lacks the ability to comprehend anything

Really, you might want to review the thread and see that it was your partner in clowning that was citing statutes and quoting laws. As I see it all of your buddy's quotations were off target.

You gave a totally ignorant answer. When the real information was posted, you get pissed because it shows the ignorance in your answer.

You gave a totally ignorant answer. When the real information was posted, you get pissed because it shows the ignorance in your answer.

I am very moved that you are in touch with my emotions. That is really sweet and don't be surprised if you get a valentines day card from me. However, a cut and paste answer from a government website does not constitute real wisdom in my neck of the woods. I gave a simple, direct answer to the question that was asked. The frame, even though barren of the parts needed to fire a round, is governed by the rules that govern the shipment of a complete firearm. Use caution when shipping gun parts, because a shooters notion of what constitutes a firearm is very different from the governments idea of the essential parts necessary to fire a round. Now if that is beyond your comprehension, you probably won't be making admiral any time soon.

Ps. I am very proud to say my answer did not contain a single cut and paste.

Really, you might want to review the thread and see that it was your partner in clowning that was citing statutes and quoting laws. As I see it all of your buddy's quotations were off target.
The FFL i am sending it to out of state said my data was correct.
So if they are incorrect, show your empiracle data. I can handle being corrected, name calling doesnt go well though.

I am very moved that you are in touch with my emotions. That is really sweet and don't be surprised if you get a valentines day card from me. However, a cut and paste answer from a government website does not constitute real wisdom in my neck of the woods. I gave a simple, direct answer to the question that was asked. The frame, even though barren of the parts needed to fire a round, is governed by the rules that govern the shipment of a complete firearm. Use caution when shipping gun parts, because a shooters notion of what constitutes a firearm is very different from the governments idea of the essential parts necessary to fire a round. Now if that is beyond your comprehension, you probably won't be making admiral any time soon.

LCDR is a very respectful rank Shipmate.
I quoted the site with reference too. Welcome to modern technology. Work smarter not harder, little kid.

Legally, to ship the receiver, you must go thru a dealer. In the eyes of the DEA the receiver constitutes the gun even though to those of us that know guns the idea is ludicrous.

I gave a simple, direct answer to the question that was asked. The frame, even though barren of the parts needed to fire a round, is governed by the rules that govern the shipment of a complete firearm.

You gave a simple, direct answer which was 90% incorrect. The only part of your answer that was correct was that the frame of a firearm is considered a firearm. The rest of your answer was false information. #1 - the DEA has nothing to do with it. #2 - the frame of a firearm when being shipped out of state must be shipped TO an FFL - not through or from an FFL. If you had cut and pasted information at least maybe it would have been correct information.

The FFL i am sending it to out of state said my data was correct.
So if they are incorrect, show your empiracle data. I can handle being corrected, name calling doesnt go well though.

I am truly amazed that you went from asking a poorly phrased question to being the foremost authority on federal law governing the shipment of firearms. I have inspired you to great heights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back