Sheriff's handgun purchase permits in NC, are records kept indefinitely ?

TrapperBob

It just occurred to me Saturday: I get a sheriff's permit, I buy a handgun. What happens to the permit I turn over to the FFL (or private seller, since that still requires the purchase permit)?

When we get a Handgun Purchase Permit from the sheriff's office, does anyone know if the sheriff keeps a record of the specific handgun purchased? If so, then are handguns de facto registered in NC, even though there's no law specifically requiring registration?

Does the sheriff's office get some sort of notification when a CHP holder purchases a handgun, since that doesn't need a sheriff's purchase permit?

Nothing SHOULD continue past the seller. They just keep it for their records.
Sheriff only knows you got a purchase permit, doesn't know what you bought or even if you did.

I may be a cynic but every government agency that has access to a firearm purchase background check knows who I am and what I bought. Somehow I don't think the request for a records check at ATF or State Police gets deleted by the time I am out the door. Trust me when I tell you they know who you are. To think otherwise would be naive. FFL's are required by law to keep records of every single purchase. I ask...if they keep records, who do you think knows what you got? This will probably bring a lot of flack from those that haven't heard about the NSA scandal yet but just call me cynical.

The sheriff has records of the number of PPP you receive. They do not know if/when/where they were used. I have used them in other counties, and have used them during private purchases.

The sheriff knows I have a CHP, but does not know if/when/where it was used to purchase a gun.

The 4473's I have filled out when purchasing from an FFL is stored with all the rest that dealer 4473's from sales to other people. No such paper trail exists for the legal private purchases I have made.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back