Shenandoah National Park

FNX-GUY

I have a Virginia CC Permit and am a resident. I'm going to do some hiking in Virginia, but in the Shenandoah National Park. Am I allowed to concealed carry and/or open carry?

Thanks All!

Yes you can carry.... Here is the link: Laws & Policies - Shenandoah National Park

Firearms in National Parks

The law governing possession of firearms inside a national park changed on February 22, 2010.

Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.

The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws appropriate to the park they are visiting.

Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances.

From what I understand you can, but it would be easy to check the state's CCW laws and open carry laws also.

:dirol:

I am always amazed at the questions so easily answered by a quick web search, such as "Shenandoah national park gun carry." I did, and found that the only requirement is to check local and state law. Open carry is legal in Virginia as is concealed carry with permit. Check it out for yourself, rather than taking my word for it. Cover both our a@@es.

This refers to CCW but there may be links for open carry or just call your attorney generals office:

Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas;
Carry Allowed in these Areas:

State Parks:YES

State Forests:YES
(After 7/7/11)

National Forests:YES 4VAC15-40-60

WMA’s:YES 4VAC15-270-60
(See Places Off Limits)

Road Side Rest Areas:YES

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

I did find what you found. However, it also says that one must comply with federal laws. Since this is a national park that created some doubt for me. When I follow the link that is supposed to inform one about federal laws, particular to parks, the corresponding websites are not helpful at all...

Google the park and try to find a contact number to call directly for an answer. Might be easier than guesswork or internet searches!

I think Congress passed a bill allowing concealed carry in National Parks subject to local law a few years ago.

I have a Virginia CC Permit and am a resident. I'm going to do some hiking in Virginia, but in the Shenandoah National Park. Am I allowed to concealed carry and/or open carry?

Thanks All!

yes you can carry in any national park as long as you are legal to carry in the state you are in, however you should stay out of any building or structures within the parks, even bathrooms can be restricted places in federally operated parks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back