She Calls Me Daddy!

Farmhood

Well my daughter comes to me the other day and asked me WHY I have never asked her to go to the range.
I was kind of blown away (NPI) So I said Oh yeah sure honey whenever you want. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I the only one to miss it?
It gets worse, she calls me today and wants to go this evening. Man I'm really feeling bad for not noticing or encouraging her earlier. I figure the SR9C
will be OK to start and I meet her and go over safety, handling instruction and dry fire training. I'm so proud to report her first 10 rounds at 10 feet had a 8" grouping.
The next 10 rounds at 21 feet she had a 16" grouping. After that her nerves started catching up with her but I thought she did great her first time shooting.
The next challenge is teaching how to clean it and find a good (not daddy) training class.
Please share your experience.

That is great! I started both of mine around 9 years old and we often make it a family outing.

Have to work on the wife first here.

The wife said something the first time she went about the noise hurting her ears. The next time we went I had much better
ear protection and she liked it a little more. So now I give her ear plugs and quality head gear and she will go any time we both can make it.

I don't remember ever "starting" my kids. They always knew. They were all bored to death w/ anything firearm & hunting before their mid-teens.... UNTIL one of their friends comes over w/ a liability waiver for a weekend, then it's "I GOT THIS, Dad", and they become super-trainer we get to the farm.

Firearms should never be something to wonder about in the home, because firearms should not be hidden. Any human w/ common sense knows that the children know the location of EVERYTHING in the house. Especially the hidden stuff.

If you're scared to let your child know about the firearm, consider BORING THEM TO DEATH about it. Then they won't care where you put it.

A Firearm is just another power tool. And similarly, if you don't learn the proper way to handle it, and maintain a respect for that dumb end, you're going to end up with a few stories you really don't like told, or be the remembered ancestor the family mentions to tell the kids to NOT immulate.

GUNSMOAK

I had my daughter out at the range about a month ago. She is only 4. The only problem is that I either need to find a shorter stock for the 10/22 or just get another one to cut down for her. My kids know all the guns are in the safe except for the one on my belt. Even my 22 month old stands at least 2 - 3 feet from a gun until I tell them they can come closer. I don't leave them any mystery as to what guns are, what they are to be used for, and how much damage they can do.

i take my 9 yr old son all the time. i have a .22 handgun and im getting the s&w ar15 .22 for him. rented one and he just loved shooting it

I got my son his first 22 when he was 8. He's 10 now.
Tomorrow we're going to the gun club so that he can join the 4H skeet team. This oughta be interesting, he's never fired a shotgun before.
He's fired an AK, an M1, and a 5.56 Sig in addition to all the .22 pistols we have, but never a shotgun. I'm gonna take the camera and video it.

I hope he likes it.
A bunch of the old timers get together and shoot trap and skeet at the club a few times a week, they sure seem to have a good time at it. Anything you can enjoy into your old age is worth becoming proficient at imo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back