Secrets and Keys to snub nose accuracy?

hogdoc357

HogDoc Olliday
Just thought I would start a new topic.

Share with us any tips, techniques, secrets, or keys for being accurate with your Snub Nose Revolver.
Also, share with us how you have improved your accuracy.
And, with fixed sights, how do you adjust your impact points? :help:

Byron

I would have to say I agree it's for up close defense. My S&W 642 is an excellent weapon for defensive carry, but I would never go tactical with it. In truth, I might miss a barn with it if it were outside of 7 yards! People have called this type of weapon a "belly gun," and I understand why.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt to improve accuracy where you can. Snubbies can be very accurate, but they take a lot of skill to shoot well. Practice a lot and understand that the gun is very unforgiving because of the short sight radius.

I am comfortable at 25the yds with mine. Yesterday at 20 yds I had an 8 in group of 5 in 10 secs 2 hand and not much worse strong hand. Mine is a 637 which is double / single action the single action give you a lot more accuracy at longer ranges the double action is up close and personal. As far as adjusting a fixed sight pic, if shooting left use more finger tip when pulling trigger and of shooting right put trigger closer to the first joint. Maybe these will help I like my little revolver a lot and do tons of dry fire with it to practice I am confident with it.

With a good trigger pull technique, one can shoot a snubbie quite well beyond six yards.

I always practice at 12yds with my LCR. I do very well too!

-Doc

Put a laser on it! Seriously, my groups improved immensely due,partially, to an increase in dry firing and adjusting trigger pull accordingly. Sights have become more onerous with advancing age & diminishing vision. I was one of those guys who would NEVER stoop to something as kitschy as laser grips.

I had a laser on mine and pushing the button screwed me up so I ended up taking it off. I did put a pac oversize grip on it and that helped a lot (I have big hands)

I have a smith airweight 442. I added a crimson trace lasergrip for it and it's a lot better for me now.

Just thought I would start a new topic.

Share with us any tips, techniques, secrets, or keys for being accurate with your Snub Nose Revolver.
Also, share with us how you have improved your accuracy.
And, with fixed sights, how do you adjust your impact points? :help:

Byron

My M637 S&W .38 snubby is an extremely accurate gun. I might be saying this because I certainly didn't expect it to be with less than a 2" barrel and shortened site alignment.

The key to accurate shooting comes down to three things no matter the firearm: 1) grip... have a strong proper grip on the firearm...a looser grip will allow slight movements... at longer distances this will have great effects; 2) good site alignment at ALL times you are on target... if your finger is on that trigger, the site alignment has to be perfect at all times; and 3) 1/4 lb of pressure, 1/4 lb of pressure, 1/4 lb of pressure....and keep doing this to the trigger until the gun goes BANG!! A slow squeeze through out is imperative, especially at longer distances... this keeps your firearm from dipping or tipping.

One other thing that sometimes messes people up is to never squeeze the trigger as you are inhaling. You will throw your shots. I'm not going to get into a long involved topic on proper breathing because there are as many opinions on the subject as I'm sure there are posters on these forums.

If you aren't accurate at 25 yards with a snubby, one or more of the 3 things above is giving you fits. Practice with someone who knows what to look for and have them watch what you are doing. This has helped me a lot with certain models firearms.

The Crimson Trace laser grip works very well in a lot of conditions, but always practice with the iron sights too, a dead battery can happen when you least expect it.
And while it's great to shoot your snubby well at 25 yards, I still practice between 7 and 10 yards. The law might just call you 25 yard shot "hunting" in a defensive situation.

I started out with the CT grips. On an LCR, they were just too painful!

The plastic is just slightly softer than a bowling ball!

After getting a set of the original grips from Ruger, This gun is very manageable!

-Doc

cant think of the name of the stance but, both hands extended forming a vee, both eyes open, i can rapid fire 5 upper body shots at 10 yds.
its taurus cia model double action only. its not a target gun, but i can put em where they count. same goes for hip shots at five feet.
p.s. i use a .22 long barrel for target practice/ plinking. both revolvers. simplicity has its virtues.

My shooting trick is to to wedge the wedge the revolver into my hand at an angle so that when I pull the trigger, most lateral motion is suppressed.

I can't describe it clear enough so I might have to take a photo some time.

-Doc

The Crimson Trace laser grip works very well in a lot of conditions, but always practice with the iron sights too, a dead battery can happen when you least expect it.
And while it's great to shoot your snubby well at 25 yards, I still practice between 7 and 10 yards. The law might just call you 25 yard shot "hunting" in a defensive situation.

Agreed, JohnD13,
I have Crimson Trace Laser Grips on 2 out of 3 of my revolvers and will place the CT on the 3rd revolver asap.

Byron

My shooting trick is to to wedge the wedge the revolver into my hand at an angle so that when I pull the trigger, most lateral motion is suppressed.

I can't describe it clear enough so I might have to take a photo some time.

-Doc

From one Doc to another,
What you say sounds very interesting. I would like to hear and see more.

Byron

With a good trigger pull technique, one can shoot a snubbie quite well beyond six yards.

I always practice at 12yds with my LCR. I do very well too!

-Doc
As with any double action revolver, trigger control is CRUCIAL.

You're never going to shoot ANY double action revolver well (in double action, anyway), be it a S&W Model 36, or a S&W Model 29 without a LOT of practice, particularly dry fire practice.

Buying a copy of McGivern's "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" wouldn't hurt. Once you get past his "John Carter of Mars" literary style, there's a WEALTH of useful information on double action revolver technique.

cant think of the name of the stance but, both hands extended forming a vee, both eyes open, i can rapid fire 5 upper body shots at 10 yds.
its taurus cia model double action only. its not a target gun, but i can put em where they count. same goes for hip shots at five feet.
p.s. i use a .22 long barrel for target practice/ plinking. both revolvers. simplicity has its virtues.

If I'm picturing what you are describing accurately, you are talking about the Weaver stance.

I agree with many of you in this forum that say the snub nose is for close up social work. I do understand and agree. I have been shooting snubs for some time, but my question was to solicit all you folks' expertise on improving snub shooting for longer distances. My hidden motive is I shoot IDPA with a snub. Just something I want to do and I want to play IDPA with the gun I carry, and I carry 5 shot snubs (I understand the limitations of a 5 shot snub in IDPA). IDPA targets can be out to 25-30 yards at times and I was just looking for anyone who has developed some level of proficiency hitting targets at those distances with the snub. Of the many posts received, many of you have given me some great instructional information. Thanks to all. :yes2:

Byron

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back