Schenectady county unrestricted permit question

Newbie62

I don't have my permit yet. Yesterday, I rec'd my letter to meet with Judge Versaci on feb 28. My permit application is for concealed carry with the restrictions of hunting and target shooting. I understand there is an advanced course for unrestricted carry. Should I even ask for an unrestricted license at this stage of the game? I do a bunch of wilderness canoe/ camp trips and would like to carry during those outings. Following the "letter of the law" I'm not really engaged in hunting or target shooting during those outings. My reason for carry during those times would be protection.
Should I ask for a clause on wilderness carry? I know, I could carry a thumb tack and a 3x5 index card and claim to be target shooting, but that makes me a loophole user. I'd like to do this above board if I can.

Any suggestions on how to do this AND keep the laws on my side?

I do a lot of hiking and camping. I simply asked for unrestricted so that no matter where I was I could carry on a trip and there would be no question.

Well I was saying that in jest, but you do live in a state that just put a 7 round max on magazines. YOUR 2nd rights have NO value there at all. It really may be time to consider moving to a better state if you truly enjoy firearms.

NY Court precedence gives you the right to carry your gun concealed as if it were not restricted. The restriction has no basis in law other than as an administrative function. You have not commited a crime nor violated a law if you carry outside your restrictions. Having said that I must also point out to you that your permit is subject to be pulled by the issuing authority at any time for no reason. So if the judge finds out you have carried outside your restriction he may pull you license, or he may not. Up to him. But it doesn't make you a criminal.

I would ask, especially if the Judge is progun. I know NYS has some that are willing to help. You could also explain your reasoning which I feel is fair. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back