SC Resident CWP question

tmountjr

Back in 2009, when I lived in SC, I obtained my resident CWP, which is still good through 1/2013. I since moved up to PA and got my LTCF but for whatever reason (laziness, probably) I never cleared out my wallet. Now I'm going back to SC for a weekend trip, and since SC doesn't have reciprocity with PA or NH (where I have my non-res permit), my first thought was that I had to leave my gun at home. Then I got to wondering: would my not-yet-expired SC CWP be valid even though I'm no longer a resident of SC? Anyone know off-hand or have a handy link to the relevant statutes?

If you're not a resident of SC, then it's not valid any longer. SC does not issue non res permits nor accept non resident permits from other states. That's my understanding FWIW. I do believe it legal for you to carry a loaded handgun in your car though, but you need to check that out.

If you have a PA. driver's license, and happen to get stopped in S.C., you won't be able to present your S.C. CWP with your Pennsy license. If you still owned property in S.C., but live out of state, the CWP would still be valid. I would stay on the side of reason and not present it.

Yeah, I remember that car carry provision. And that's anyone legally allowed to own a handgun, not just anyone with a license, right?

Next question, then...Federal law allows me to transport an unloaded and locked firearm in my trunk even through a prohibiting state if I'm permitted to carry in both my origin and final destination. That gets me through Delaware and Maryland, and when I get into Virginia I can transfer out of my trunk for carry through VA and NC. And since I'm allowed to carry in my car in my destination (SC) I should be protected under federal provisions, right?

If you have a PA. driver's license, and happen to get stopped in S.C., you won't be able to present your S.C. CWP with your Pennsy license. If you still owned property in S.C., but live out of state, the CWP would still be valid. I would stay on the side of reason and not present it.

That is correct and is the determining factor. Link Removed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back