SC Laws Regarding Gear

Nv.Jetto

Hello all! This is my first post. Let me first say that I appreciate all informative answers and look forward to learning from all of you.

Now, here is my question:

Are you aware of any laws and/or regulations regarding or restricting the transportation of gear (ie. magazines, tactical LBE, ammunition) in SC?

I'm asking because I would like to put together a man portable LBE system to stow in my vehicle, just in case I ever need extra ammo, magazines, or need to respond to a threat away from my home. My system would include magazines for both a 9mm pistol and AR-15 style semi-auto rifle, ammo for both firearms, a tactical vest to carry everything, other accessories like tactical lights and sights. If anyone knows of anything restricting my ability to carry a system as described above, please let me know and, if possible, post a link to reference any law directly.

Thanks once again for any helpful responses.

No law against that in SC. You can keep a loaded handgun in your vehicle as long as its in a storage compartment. I.E. glovebox center console even if you don't have a CWP.

No law against that in SC. You can keep a loaded handgun in your vehicle as long as its in a storage compartment. I.E. glovebox center console even if you don't have a CWP.
And to add to that, the few laws we do have in regards to vehicles only pertains to guns. So as far as ammunition and anything pertaining to accessories or gear, do as you please. I just don't recommend leaving a lot of stuff visible as it might encourage some busted out windows.

Just as I thought! I have read the SC legislation concerning guns, cwp, etc... several times over and never saw anything to suggest there was any type of restriction on carrying any type of LBE system in your vehicle, but I wanted to check with some guys who are in the know.

I definitely would keep something like this in the trunk of my car. It would never be in plain sight, so wouldn't encourage theft or issues with "concerned citizens."

Thanks for the responses guys. Anybody have any suggestions for gear? I'm new to guns and such, but I have done lots of research, yet seeing as how I have zero experience with this kind of stuff I would definitely be well served by an experience opinion. I'm pretty set on the 5.11 tactical vest that they offer on their website, but beyond that I'm not sure what to outfit the vest with. I've considered a crossdraw system with three extra mags for each firearm on the front w/ the AR on a single point sling. Sound like I'm on the right track? Let me know guys, and thanks again!

I hate to sound like a dunce, but what is LBE?

I have guns and ammo in the vehicle at all times. Not to the extent you are talking about, but you should be good as long as you adhere to the loaded handgun in the console or glovebox as noted above. Instead of the vest, why not include a plate carrier. It seems that if you need all that gear, you are being shot at and some armor is warranted.

LBE is Load Bearing Equipment, like a vest, plate carrier, or chest rig. I've thought about a plate carrier, but in the interest of cost and mobility I'm thinking more along the lines of a vest. While a plate carrier offers more protection it also forces you to sacrifice a bit of mobility and speed when equipping. I'm nixing the chest rig idea because I want something that is quick and easy to equip, and most chest rigs secure in the back. A plate carrier is heavy when fully armored, so it takes longer to equip as well. I simply want to be prepared to respond to a significant threat if necessary. Let's say I'm in a Wal-Mart and a gunman walks in and begins to massacre people like we've seen countless times before. When put in that situation I would like to be able to respond to that threat with adequate force. Yes, I would have to escape the building, get to my vehicle, equip my rig, and return to the situation, but at least I have that option if it is needed. Ideally I would never have the need for such a setup and it would become a dusty pile of wasted money in my trunk, but I'd rather take the chance that I never use it than sacrifice the lives of my family and other innocent civilians to a murderer because I was ill prepared or ill equipped.

So... vest it is. Thanks for the question though. I appreciate the response, and if you know of any plate carriers that are cost effective and easily equipped please feel free to suggest anything.

LBE is Load Bearing Equipment, like a vest, plate carrier, or chest rig. I've thought about a plate carrier, but in the interest of cost and mobility I'm thinking more along the lines of a vest. While a plate carrier offers more protection it also forces you to sacrifice a bit of mobility and speed when equipping. I'm nixing the chest rig idea because I want something that is quick and easy to equip, and most chest rigs secure in the back. A plate carrier is heavy when fully armored, so it takes longer to equip as well. I simply want to be prepared to respond to a significant threat if necessary. Let's say I'm in a Wal-Mart and a gunman walks in and begins to massacre people like we've seen countless times before. When put in that situation I would like to be able to respond to that threat with adequate force. Yes, I would have to escape the building, get to my vehicle, equip my rig, and return to the situation, but at least I have that option if it is needed. Ideally I would never have the need for such a setup and it would become a dusty pile of wasted money in my trunk, but I'd rather take the chance that I never use it than sacrifice the lives of my family and other innocent civilians to a murderer because I was ill prepared or ill equipped.

So... vest it is. Thanks for the question though. I appreciate the response, and if you know of any plate carriers that are cost effective and easily equipped please feel free to suggest anything.
WTF? The first question I have is why is this topic on a firearms forum? Then, and even more importantly, I have to wonder about this statement. "When put in that situation I would like to be able to respond to that threat with adequate force. Yes, I would have to escape the building, get to my vehicle, equip my rig, and return to the situation, but at least I have that option if it is needed."
Huh? Say what?
If your asking this question you're not a cop. And if you're on this forum I'm pretty sure you're not Rambo. You do however appear to think you're a mall ninja.
If you're in Wal-Mart and a massacre begins, and then you manage to get outside to your car, you're done. Take cover. Dial 911. Everyone is responsible for their own safety. You are only responsible for your own. And if you were to leave and go back in, there is a very good chance that you would face charges. Rightly so...

WTF? The first question I have is why is this topic on a firearms forum? Then, and even more importantly, I have to wonder about this statement. "When put in that situation I would like to be able to respond to that threat with adequate force. Yes, I would have to escape the building, get to my vehicle, equip my rig, and return to the situation, but at least I have that option if it is needed."
Huh? Say what?
If your asking this question you're not a cop. And if you're on this forum I'm pretty sure you're not Rambo. You do however appear to think you're a mall ninja.
If you're in Wal-Mart and a massacre begins, and then you manage to get outside to your car, you're done. Take cover. Dial 911. Everyone is responsible for their own safety. You are only responsible for your own. And if you were to leave and go back in, there is a very good chance that you would face charges. Rightly so...
I wasn't going to say anything, simply because "to each his own". But I was thinking the exact same thing. If I'm somewhere that I can't carry and something goes down, and I manage to get out to my gun, the ONLY way I'm going back in is if I have family still in there. But in most circumstances they would have come out with me, unless I didn't think it was safe to try. But if you get out and have no reason to go back, sit in your car, and have your weapon ready in case the person comes out heading your way.

Wow I didn't see that coming. Thanks for the explanation on LBE.

As to fighting crime by rushing into a massacre, I don't see that as a reasonable option. I don't really care if you do it, but please try to avoid it if I'm in the Wally World.

I'll be honest with you. If I'm in a store, and there is an active shooter, and I'm in the process of escaping, and I see a guy charging at me with a tactical vest on, carrying a rifle, he's getting shot because he's between me and safety.

It's a bad tactic to to dress up like an active shooter and run into a store. Just an opinion.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back