Savage 223

reb55

I am considering getting an inexpensive 223 bolt action rifle. The Savage Edge (now Axis) looks pretty good, except for the magazine. The releasing mechanism is plastic (Link Removed). I would expect that to break at some inopportune moment. Has anyone here had any experience with Savage rifles? Will another Savage magazine work in that model?

I bought a savage edge in .270 last September for around 300 bucks. Put around 30 rounds through it to sight in pleasant gun too shoot very low recoil. Also took down a buck and 2 doe with it last season. I almost like hunting with that over my x bolt. Not sure about the new model but the edge does not have the accutrigger if that would sway you. But other wise nice gun

Forgot to mention the magazine does feel pretty cheap but I have yet to have a problem with it. I also bought An extra magazine off ebay for 10 bucks as a backup just in case

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon. I still think of plastic as something to make toys from. I can accept a plastic stock, even prefer it for some features. But that plastic spring that latches the magazine looks like a problem waiting to happen. I would happily pay a few bucks more for a reliable (metal) releasing mechanism. Overall, the reviews I have seen rate the rifle as an excellent buy otherwise.

bwg1920--The T/C Venture looks interesting, but the cost is about $170 more. It does have some nice features that the Savage lacks--adjustable trigger, integral scope rings. I think I'd go with a Savage Model 10 (in a different caliber; 223 isn't available) first.

I have a Savage 10flp in .308, and a Savage 12V in.223. both are excellent rifles and are both tack drivers. I don't think you can go wrong with one. You can call the factory and order one built to your spec. Try that with any of the other factories.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back