S&W 642 vs Ruger LCR vs Taurus 850

Big_Guns

Suggestions please. I have essential tremors, so I am a lousy shot. I'm working on it, and improving slowly (I think). Because of a recent back problem, running or fighting just became a non-choice. Thus I plan to get a CCW soon. I'm fairly experienced around guns, and really like my S&W 19-4, which will allow me to put 4 out of 6 shots in a 4" group. My wife has a lighter revolver, same caliber and barrel length, and I am not as accurate with it. I think the extra weight helps with tremors. But the S&W 19-4 is too large to carry, I want a "little" revolver and have sort of zeroed in on the ones listed above.

So, if anyone here has hand tremors, have you fired any of the above? How did they work? It sure would be nice to carry the lighter Ruger, but if it just makes me miss faster it is a lousy choice. As you all know, only hits count.

I'm trying to find a place that carries all of them and will let me rent them, but no luck so far.

I'll be the first to vote here.. I'm gonna vote the 642. Maybe slightly heavier than the LCR. The LCR is EXTREMELY light. I'm just not certain of the Taurus quality, but it seems to get steadily better. They are thriving in the CCW market. To me, the J frame Smith is the essential CCW piece. Are you absolutely certain you want to limit yourself just to a revolver? Nothing wrong with that. Just lots of options out there.

Suggestions please. I have essential tremors, so I am a lousy shot. I'm working on it, and improving slowly (I think). Because of a recent back problem, running or fighting just became a non-choice. Thus I plan to get a CCW soon. I'm fairly experienced around guns, and really like my S&W 19-4, which will allow me to put 4 out of 6 shots in a 4" group. My wife has a lighter revolver, same caliber and barrel length, and I am not as accurate with it. I think the extra weight helps with tremors. But the S&W 19-4 is too large to carry, I want a "little" revolver and have sort of zeroed in on the ones listed above.

So, if anyone here has hand tremors, have you fired any of the above? How did they work? It sure would be nice to carry the lighter Ruger, but if it just makes me miss faster it is a lousy choice. As you all know, only hits count.

I'm trying to find a place that carries all of them and will let me rent them, but no luck so far.

I'm 73 so I'm not nearly as steady as I used to be but most defensive firing occurs closer than 7 yards so a little shaking is OK. One thing that will help is linearity of trigger pull with clean hammer release. I haven't live fired an LCR but I did a lot of dry firing of one at the NRA convention in Phoenix. I was absolutely amazed by the linearity of the trigger pull. It's a totally new design and it's a great one. It's a little lighter (13.5 ounces) than my Taurus 605SH2 titanium .357, which weighs 16 ounces, but I shoot both .357s and +P 38s in the Taurus. I'd buy a LCR if I didn't already have my Taurus. BTW: I read that Ruger is bringing out a .357 LCR.

I own both the S & W 642 and the Ruger LCR. Both guns have the laser grips and overall I like the LCR better. The LCR has a better trigger pull and feels like better quality to me. I am able to shoot a smaller groupe at 7 yards with the LCR than with the S&W 642.
Get the Ruger LCR with the Crimson Trace Grips like I have, then practice defensive shooting with it at close range.

I had a S&W model 60 in 357 with a 3 inc barrel , it was a nice small frame gun had enough weight to stay fairly steady, I beleve one of these would suit your purpose, except you may want to just keep 38 special in it, for a little less recoil

I own both the S & W 642 and the Ruger LCR. Both guns have the laser grips and overall I like the LCR better. The LCR has a better trigger pull and feels like better quality to me. I am able to shoot a smaller groupe at 7 yards with the LCR than with the S&W 642.
Get the Ruger LCR with the Crimson Trace Grips like I have, then practice defensive shooting with it at close range.

Recently got the LCR for the wife. Hmmm maybe I'll use it. pretty nice. Going to add the Crimson Laser grip. Make it a neat, complete defensive CCW.
Not sure but with those tremors no need to use +p. Best thing is to see if you can actually shoot one. I also have the LCP. with the Crimson Laser Guard. It's smaller then the LCR . It's very accurate for a little gun but I think in a lot of situations the LCR would be the way to go.
Hope you get to shoot one first Big Guns. Good luck!

I have the 642. It is a great firearm and I would recommend it. If you have the chance to handle the 642 and the LCR, try the trigger pull on them and see what is more comfortable for you. I am personally not a fan of Taurus firearms, but that is just my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back