Rust?!??

Cowboy615

Does anyone know a good product to put on the slide/barrel to keep it from rusting. I live in MS and it's hot and humid and with my Crossbreed holster it causes rust within a few times of carrying. I carry a Kimber Pro Covert II and it has a Blake slide and chrome barrel... I don't know how to keep it from rusting or how to get rid of some of the barrel rust. I use lots of CLP and RemOil.

I have the same problem.... finally solved it by buying (I know lots cannot afford to) a cheaper carry gun (stainless slide and resin framed) that I wouldnt care about much if it got a little rusty.

To the OP.... I have found that leather (and nylon to a smaller extent) holsters wick the moisture off of you and holds it, hence the weapon has constant moisture on it. With leather, you can apply wax to the back side (part that touches body) and heat it up with a hairdryer and it will absorb the wax.... might need to apply lots of coats, but it will help. I used a candle and just rubbed it on leather before heating.

This topic was one of my preferences for my SCCY 9MM Polymer and Stainless steel.. The only rust issue I have had is at the Pins..
Someone did a study of nails and salty water and determined CLP was the 2nd best product at resisting rust.. The 1st was a difficult to find product.. The CLP has keep the rust at the pins to a minimum.
As one of the posters stated or alluded to, you may want to silicone/wax the backside of your crossbread so that it will not absorb as much moisture.. I also wear a t-shirt between my holster/gun and my skin. This keeps quite a bit of moisture away from the holster/gun.

I've always been told never to use WD40 on guns because of the weird residue it leaves, can become gummy and sticky, same for WD40 and fans.

Out of curiosity why?

I've never used it my guns. But using it to remove the rust wouldn't hurt anything in my opinion. It's not like I'm saying use it instead of gun oil or grease.

As Laithe said, WD40 leaves a residue that gets sticky and can impede a firearm from working correctly

Sentry Solutions Marine Tuf-Cloth. Been using it for about two years on my XD-40 in Crossbreed Super Tuck. I am a big guy prone to body moisture accumulation. I wipe down my pistol before I put it in my vault every day after cary. Link Removed

WD 40 is the worst thing to use on a gun it has no lubricating properties and it is to be used as a water displacement hence wd not a lubricant it will build up and make the parts work that much harder rem oil or even household 4 in 1 is a better product than wd 40 and not as hard on the wood or the plastic or synthetic parts

I've got a preventive product that will help immensely!

Fluid Film

I've used this on 1980's production Desert Eagle pistols that have been left to rot and if it's used properly it will kill the rust, bubbling like hydrogen peroxide. Depending on how bad the rust is, it may require a buffing wheel to help pull it out of the finish with the FF.

BTW, Fluid Film CANNOT help the rusting issues we've been seeing lately with the Ruger LCP. After the tornado hit Joplin, Mo I had a dozen people with Ruger LCP's ask me to clean up their rusted pistols. They were completely ruined and could only be helped by refinishing or replacing the entire pistol. One of those was a LEO who had his in an ankle holster the entire time, the humidity radiating off the wet ground surfaces ruined his LCP, so much so that I could tell what parts were exposed and what parts contacted clothing...worse still was that it wouldn't cycle properly.

Sentry Solutions Tuf Cloth. Been using it for about two years on my CC guns. Wipes on easily and leaves a protective coating on the metal.

rust

WD40 will also pentrate the primer caps of the cartidges, causing a FTF. Frequent cleaning/lubing w/ RemOil is highly recommended. Light coat too avoid attaching dirt.

Shame all those LCP's were destroyed.

WD40 will also pentrate the primer caps of the cartidges, causing a FTF. .

That has been proven FALSE....... By the guys who do "the box of truth" I believe......

BTW, I would like to formally ask for actual proof/studies on the WD40 "gums up" opinion, I have never seen anything to prove that beyond rumors. I am not, however saying WD40 is a good thing/product to use, there are other products that are actually designed for that purpose.... at no higher price for the most part, so why use something else like Wd?

I would also highly recommend the Sentry Solutions Marine Tuf-Cloth. Buy a couple of them, and a couple of bottles of Marine Tuf-Glide to replenish the cloths when they run dry. They're pretty easy to use...once you have completely cleaned the surfaces you want to protect (say, the exterior of your slide) wipe them for a minute or two with a Tuf-Cloth very firmly. Let the part(s) air dry and you're good to go. The ingredients dry to the touch like Eezox does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back