Rust because of conceal carry (and not enough cleaning)?

Ujku

Okay so I purchased a Micro Desert Eagle for concealed pocket carry in the beginning of the summer for summer clothing. This is the first firearm I have ever pocket carried. I took it shooting a few times over the summer and cleaned it along with my Glock and SKS using Ballistol after every shooting session. I've noticed what seems like... rust on the trigger, in the screw that holds the grip, and even at the edge end of the barrel. This is my fault for not being more adamant about maintaining it. I am just wondering if this really is rust and how often I should clean it to keep sweat and moisture from rusting it. The most recent cleaning it had was in early august and I did not notice any rust at that time. Also what is the best way to get rid of the rust (if it is rust)? Ballistol? Here are some pics:

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

Note: in the barrel pic that stuff inside is an orangish color and won't easily rub off.

Did you keep it in a leather holster? I have found (just my experience) that guns kept in leather holsters need to be cleaned more often to prevent rust.

Bore brush with any good oil should help with the bore (I like 3-in-1 oil but I know some people will disagree. I don't much like ballistol), I know some people who will use a kitchen scrubbing pad like scotch-brite on a cleaning rod to clean rust in bore but I've never used that myself. Surface rust I'd use oil and maybe very fine steel wool lightly if needed. I was using a leather pocket holster but switched to a nylon one. I also have several identical holsters, so if one gets moist because of sweat I can switch it out.

I take my gun out of the holster every night and its not in a holster unless I'm carrying it. You can catch any first signs of rust at a very early stage that way. The gun gets wiped down and inspected once a week in any case.

Good luck! I hate it whenever I see the slightest spot of rust on my guns!

Clean and check every weapon I own about 1 a week, concealed carry is stainless, heavy humidity and heat in Houston area is brutal on non stainless, clean as if your life depends on it, because it does.

Maybe undergarments make a difference? I clean my SA XDM-45 4.5" only after shooting. No rust ever, and I'm in Houston, where 90% relative humidity is a dry day. Some thoughts. I wear a black "wife beater" T shirt under my open bottom outer shirt. The T helps keep perspiration from the holster and gun (as well as helping to hide the black gun under an outer shirt.) Gun is in a Tucker Secret Strike, an all-Kydex full coverage holster (open at the bottom, of course). I have had leather and half leather holsters in the past, and they seemed to get damp sometimes, which I suspect would keep dampness in contact with the gun.
-
I imagine the gun makes a difference. Glocks seem more rust resistant than some others. I have also had no rust on my SA XD's or XDM or my Colt XSE, although I have not carried the Colt much. I seem to recall that Kimbers are notorious for barrel rust--when I've looked at them in gun shop a, they always seem to have a little rust in/on their "stainless steel" barrels.
-
I also have an inside job, so perspiration is not that great at work. However, my wife is a nature photography enthusiast, and we spend a lot of time in wildlife refuges, where perspiration is significant.
-
In the evenings at home, the gun comes out of the holster, gets a Streamlight attached, and sits on the kitchen counter or a table, until it goes to the nightstand, so any moisture that might be in the holster is separated at night and dried in the dry indoor air.

Sent using Tapatalk...so please excuse the typos!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back