rugar LCP first 100rds

no sheep

I bought a LCP for the wife and on the first 100rds we fired this last weekend (Winchester 95gr white box) we had about 5 stove pipes, and it kept have issues returning the slide to closed when racking the first round. Anyone else have these problems? We are going to run through another 100rds this coming weekend maybe use different ammo and if it continues try to send it into rugar so far it is not looking good as a small ccw choice for her.

Mine has never missed a shot in two years. That is using White Box and other brands. Haven't tried Remington, many have said it's a problem in autos.
Clean it, lube it. Check for any rough spots on the ramp, slide, or the mags. Polish any out.
Who has the problem, you, your wife, or both ?

Agree with GB Boater.

Had the same problem with a Kel-Tec P-11. After polishing the feed ramp and the chamber, the problem went away.

Also, at times, hollow point shells have more problems feeding than FMJ.

Sometimes we ask "Why can't all these touch ups be done before sending the gun out for sale?"
The answer can be that its the difference between a reasonably priced weapon and a top end one.
Having said that, a rough feed ramp will smooth out with use (break in). Or, sped up with polishing.

Keep it up and your problems will usually disappear with use. My LCP hasn't had a single hiccup all the way back to NIB so I guess I'm lucky.

Mine has never missed a shot in two years. That is using White Box and other brands. Haven't tried Remington, many have said it's a problem in autos.
Clean it, lube it. Check for any rough spots on the ramp, slide, or the mags. Polish any out.
Who has the problem, you, your wife, or both ?

Its both of us ( not a limp wrist problem) it was cleaned and lubed before it hit the range, I will do it again and take it back out. Hopefully will just go away with another 100-200 rounds. I just have never had this problem before with rugar I have a sr-22 pistol and lc9 that have shot great out of the box.

I would try a different brand of bullet. I ran into a similar problem with a different gun and as near as I could figure out it was limited to one box of the Walmart white box stuff. Never had a problem since or before.

I would try a different brand of bullet. I ran into a similar problem with a different gun and as near as I could figure out it was limited to one box of the Walmart white box stuff. Never had a problem since or before.

I plan to grab two different brands.

no sheep, to polish the feed ramp and chamber, you just need a dremel, with a polishing kit. disassemble your weapon after clearing it safely, and use a polishing buff coated in polishing rouge. polish the feed ramp and chamber on the barrel to a mirror shine, go slow so as not to overheat the barrel. once you have that done, clean the barrel in solvent,( gun blaster), dry the clean barrel, then apply some dry teflon lube. reassemble weapon. then put another couple hundred rounds of fmj ammo through it to complete break in. that should do it. good luck and good shootiing, bikerlarry

^--- I just need to grab some polish and im all set. I am going to run another 100 rounds through it before I do anything though I want to see if the ammo was the problem.

No Sheep, a gunsmith in Oklahoma did mine, also using a dremel tool. He did both feed ramp and the chamber. He said sometimes a rough chamber can "grip" the shell casing just enough to slow down the ejection cycle and cause stovetops. Seems like I remember he charged $20 ~ was worth it.

I have never had any problem with mine, out of the box... possibly 500 rounds on the gun. The only complaint I have is that the trigger bites my trigger finger... a long shooting session might be bloody ...

I actually had some polish that came with my dremel so I lightly polished the feedramp and all the spots I seen wear on the outside. It is much smoother and I gave it a good cleaning/lube when I was done. I ran some snap caps through it and it seemd when it FTE the snap caps 99.9% it was on the 2nd to last bullet/cap (on 2 different factory mags). On the up side alot of the slide not returing to center problem went away and only happend 2 times and that may have just been me short stroking. We are going out this weekend to shoot at least another 100 rounds through it, I will let you all know how it goes.

I've had similar problems with various pistols and Winchester ammo (9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP). I won't use it now. I've had decent luck with Remington UMC, but every now and again, about 1 to 3 rounds per hundred, it will have a light powder load. I would try some different ammo. Lately, I've been really liking the quality of Speer ammo. CCI or PMC (if available in .380) might be good, too. I've tried some of the Russian ammo. I didn't like how dirty and smoky it was, and I didn't like the glaze on the cases.

WingRider

I've had similar problems with various pistols and Winchester ammo (9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP). I won't use it now. I've had decent luck with Remington UMC, but every now and again, about 1 to 3 rounds per hundred, it will have a light powder load. I would try some different ammo. Lately, I've been really liking the quality of Speer ammo. CCI or PMC (if available in .380) might be good, too. I've tried some of the Russian ammo. I didn't like how dirty and smoky it was, and I didn't like the glaze on the cases.

WingRider

For defense ammo it has speer 90g gold dots I use it in all our guns for self defense. I am going to find some other (hopefully 2) and try that winchester is the only .380 my china mart carries. The UMC I have had bad luck with for .40 tons of fail to fire for centerfire (realy cheap primers) stoped buying it after 2 cases. I have been using mostly federal for everthing for range work and have been happy just cant find it in .380 .

Yep, Short Stroking can prevent Elsie from going fully into battery. She does have her own little quirks.
You shouldn't have any problems now. (Or at least you're ahead on break in.)

Give her a chance and she will treat you right.

Give her a very nice cleaning and oil up the slide a bit. Also try ordering an extra pound recoil spring for the Lcp off wolf springs. I have the 13lb, it's a little over kill and hard to lock back but will make sure there is a round chambered every time. Go with the 11lb. Factory is 8lb

Give her a very nice cleaning and oil up the slide a bit. Also try ordering an extra pound recoil spring for the Lcp off wolf springs. I have the 13lb, it's a little over kill and hard to lock back but will make sure there is a round chambered every time. Go with the 11lb. Factory is 8lb

It chambers ok, it the FTE that has been getting it. I am going to try it again this weekend.

Update: we went out this weekend and the gun shot great the first 40 rounds then started having trouble feeding a simple smack to the back of the slide and it would go. It had no stove pipes out of 100 rounds so that is a step in the right dirrection. We plan to give it a good cleaning and shoot another 100 rounds through it if there are any more failures dont know what to do yet (probably send it to rugar).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back