Residents of Tennessee using Virginia Non Resident Carry Permit

PLT-1

I have been trying to find info on whether or not Tennessee accepts the Non Resident permit from Virginia if the holder is a Tennessee resident. The maps seem to indicate that it is legal without having a Tennessee permit. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks, cluznar, for the reply. I saw on the reciprocity map Tennessee accepts them, but was concerned if there was anything against using it with me being a resident. I can't seem to find anything definite on the Tennessee web site. They are not very up to date on it.

If you are a resident of TN and your DL reflects a TN address then you should have a TN HCP. Your handgun training certificate, if you still have a copy, may get you out of the DOS safety course. This from the tn.gov website:

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.

All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted.
Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.
A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

If you are a "resident of another state" TN honors ALL other states permits. If you are a resident of TN, you must have a TN permit.

So then if you live in say Ohio and have a non-resident VA license it is no good? You have to get an Ohio license?
:dance3:

So then if you live in say Ohio and have a non-resident VA license it is no good? You have to get an Ohio license?

That would depend on Ohio state law. HOWEVER, 18 USC 922 (q)(2) is a Federal law that prohibits the possession of a firearm within 1000' of a school in any state, one of the exemptions to the prohibition being if the person possesses a license or permit issued by the same state the school zone is located in and a background check is done prior to issuing the permit or license by the same state. So, a person carrying a loaded firearm within 1000' feet of a school in any state violates that law unless they possess a license or permit issued by the state the school zone is located in, regardless of residency.

That would depend on Ohio state law. HOWEVER, 18 USC 922 (q)(2) is a Federal law that prohibits the possession of a firearm within 1000' of a school in any state, one of the exemptions to the prohibition being if the person possesses a license or permit issued by the same state the school zone is located in and a background check is done prior to issuing the permit or license by the same state. So, a person carrying a loaded firearm within 1000' feet of a school in any state violates that law unless they possess a license or permit issued by the state the school zone is located in, regardless of residency.

Good Point!

As NavyLCDR said would depend on Ohio law. There are also a few states that don't recognize non-resident permits period.

In my honest opinion, not being a lawyer, if you have the choice of having a resident license or using your validly issued non-resident out-of-state license, I would choose going with the home state. If your drivers license, hunting license, fishing license are all from State A, and your handgun permit is from State B, you may have a problem. In Tennessee, you have a certain amount of time when you move into the state to change your OLD state permit to the Tennessee permit. Additionally, Tennessee has reciprocity with more states than Virginia, and it just makes sense to have all licenses/permits in your home of record.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back