Resident of NC with FL CCW

trebor99

I moved to NC from FL a few years ago and have the FL CCW which has another couple years before expiration.

• since I now reside in NC am I required to have the NC CCW to legally conceal carry?
  • and if so can I simply get a renewal NC CCW?
  • or do I have to start all over again from scratch including taking the firearms class etc?
  • or can I keep the FL CCW and legally carry as an NC resident until it expires?

I assume this is a question that's been raised here before. Thanks in advance for any accurate info to shed some light on this topic.

GS_14-415.24

§ 14-415.24. Reciprocity; out-of-state handgun permits.
(a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina.

However, be advised that Federal law, 18 USC 922 (q)(2) requires you to stop, unload your gun, and lock it in a container before knowingly approaching within 1000' of any school premises on public property unless you possess a license to carry a gun issued by the same state the school zone is located in and a law enforcement agency of that state has verified that you qualify for the license - for the safety of the children, of course.

I was at a meeting with our local sheriff a couple of months ago regarding the 'use of deadly force'. He has held several these informal meetings in different parts of the county.

An individual at the meeting was in a very similar situation, except he was a transplant from Texas. The Sheriff (a pro 2A guy) stated that his TX permit was valid in NC until the expiration date of his TX permit.

You will have to go through the initial application process for a NC CHP, meaning you will have take the NC CHP course and go through the same application as any first timer does.

It might be simpler to talk to your local sheriff and apply for a N.C. permit. The “out-of-state concealed handgun permittees” could refer permittees from out of state who hold a permit from their or another state. An out-of-state may not be recognized for an N.C. resident. The sheriff’s office should be able to tell you for sure, and also tell you if your previous training is acceptable. Having that N.C. permit now may make things simpler later. You know it will be recognized all over the state; a LEO in another county may say your Florida permit is no longer valid since you are a N.C resident. It could be a hassle even if he is wrong. The total cost of the permit and fingerprints is $90.

“Certain residents of North Carolina may be eligible to obtain a permit which would allow them to carry a concealed handgun under certain conditions. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11. No other weapons may be carried concealed pursuant to such permit.

North Carolina also allows out-of-state concealed handgun permittees to carry concealed handguns, pursuant to such permits, in North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.24(a). While carrying a handgun pursuant to such permit, qualified out-of-state permittees are held to the same standards as North Carolina permittees. Consequently, there are a number of areas where concealed handguns cannot be carried in North Carolina, regardless of the individual having a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Included on the North Carolina Department of Justice's website is a list of "Do's and Don'ts" for carrying a concealed handgun in North Carolina. In order to acquire a North Carolina permit, an individual must apply to the sheriff's office in the county in which he/she resides. As part of the application process, the applicant must accomplish the following:
1. Complete an application, under oath, on a form provided by the sheriff's office;
2. Pay a non-refundable fee of $80.00;
3. Allow the sheriff's office to take two (2) full sets of fingerprints, which may cost up to $10.00;
4. Provide an original certificate of completion of an approved handgun safety course; and
5. Provide a release authorizing disclosure to the sheriff of any record concerning the applicant's mental health or capacity.
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.13.”
Link Removed

“An approved course shall be any course which satisfies the requirements of this subdivision and is certified or sponsored by:

a. The North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission,

b. The National Rifle Association, or

c. A law enforcement agency, college, private or public institution or organization, or firearms training school, taught by instructors certified by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission or the National Rifle Association.”
NC Gen Stat § 14-415.12 :: 14-415.12. Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit. :: 2010 North Carolina Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

I was out-of-town for a couple days and happy to see all your input.. thanks! I just missed the closing of the sheriff's gun department today but will try again tomorrow and report the info I receive from them here.

We will be moving to FL in the next 6 months and I have a non resident from FL. I called Tallahassee and questioned them about my FL non resident and this is what I was told: go on line and set up an account with the permit site and just do a change of address. The difference is you moved out and I am moving in, hope this helps. As long as you get a NC license, you should be able to maintain the FL as a non resident, it's good in a bunch of states.

I was wondering if someone could assist me. I moved from Florida to North Carolina last year. I hold a CWP issued from Florida. Do I need to retake the exam again or can I transfer my current license (expires 2023)? Where would I transfer my license? I thank you for your assistance.....

I was wondering if someone could assist me. I moved from Florida to North Carolina last year. I hold a CWP issued from Florida. Do I need to retake the exam again or can I transfer my current license (expires 2023)? Where would I transfer my license? I thank you for your assistance.....

Permits do not transfer, you need to take a CC course from one of the approved courses (check local range), and apply just like everyone else. You have to lived here 30 days to apply, and must have an NC drivers license showing that address.

OBTW, in NC, the sheriff of the county you live in is in control of all CHPs issued. You can only transfer from county to county within the state.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back