Resident in Massachusetts wanting to conceal in South Carolina

jaybb104

Is there anyway that I can obtain a license from another state that will reciprocate with South Carolina to allow me to carry concealed in South Carolina? I will be moving from Massachusetts to South Carolina for about a year and I currently have my license to carry in Mass. I am not sure if there is something I can apply for in South Carolina or have to go to another state in order to carry in South Carolina.

If I recall correctly SC stopped accepting non res permits about a year ago. But you should check handgunlaw.us To verify. Merry Christmas

Yes. Get a Florida license. No class needed. Just have them send you a application and send them a copy of your currant license from any state and they will issue you a Florida license

Yes. Get a Florida license. No class needed. Just have them send you a application and send them a copy of your currant license from any state and they will issue you a Florida license

FL does require proof of training not just a copy of a permit. AZ accepts copy of permit.

But, as stated, SC does not recognize any Non-resident permits.

South Carolina

If you will be living in SC will you be changing your Drivers license? If so, then you can apply for the SC resident permit.

Is there anyway that I can obtain a license from another state that will reciprocate with South Carolina to allow me to carry concealed in South Carolina? I will be moving from Massachusetts to South Carolina for about a year and I currently have my license to carry in Mass. I am not sure if there is something I can apply for in South Carolina or have to go to another state in order to carry in South Carolina.
It sounds like you are planning on returning to Massachusetts after a year? I don't know your situation but you might think about maintaining your legal residence im Massachusetts and getting a South Carolina NON Resident permit.

The below is from Handgunlaw.us

SC Non Resident Permit/License is Valid in: AK, AR, AZ, DE, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MO, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, OH, OK, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WV, WY

Non residents who own property in South Carolina and certain Military Personnel can now apply for a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit. Contact SLED or visit their web site to see what other requirements you must meet. Emergency permits are available to those who can prove need no matter their state of resident even if they don’t have property in South Carolina but are present in South Carolina.

Section 23-31-210.. As Used in This Article:

(1) 'Resident' means an individual who is present in South Carolina with the intention of making a permanent home in South Carolina or military personnel on permanent change of station orders.

(2) 'Qualified nonresident' means an individual who owns real property in South Carolina, but who resides in another state.

SLED State Headquarters
4400 Broad River Road
P. O. Box 21398
Columbia, SC 29221-1398
(803) 737-9000

Yes, I will be living in South Carolina for about a year and then moving back to Massachusetts. I may be staying in South Carolina for a longer period of time, but it will depend on how the job goes. I think I will see how the job goes and then apply to become a resident in South Carolina. I wish the Reciprocating Bill would pass already. It would make this move much easier and allow me to carry. Thanks for all the info everyone. And Merry Christmas!

Yes, I will be living in South Carolina for about a year and then moving back to Massachusetts. I may be staying in South Carolina for a longer period of time, but it will depend on how the job goes. I think I will see how the job goes and then apply to become a resident in South Carolina. I wish the Reciprocating Bill would pass already. It would make this move much easier and allow me to carry. Thanks for all the info everyone. And Merry Christmas!

Until your POSITIVE your not going back to MA, don't give up your LTC. If you have a unrestricted LTC-A, you know how lucky you are. There's no rule saying they have to re-issue it to you without restrictions again. But also keep in mind that if you do change residence to SC your current LTC is automatically revoked.

South Carolina still offers non resident permits. Below is a link to their web page so you can download the application form. Although the way the form reads you may need to own property in SC to obtain one. SC has reciprocity agreements with Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming. Hope that helps.

Link Removed

SC Non-resident CWP

If you are only going to rent in S.C. for a year then you are out of luck. S.C. requires you pay real property taxes to be eligible for a non-resident CWP. You must submit a form signed by the tax assessor confirming that you do pay property taxes when you apply. S.C. does not recognize any permits except from states you actually reside in so getting a Florida non-resident permit will not help you. Condo prices are down so getting a good deal on one and selling it or renting it out when you leave is an option. Good luck.

Check the permit map. SC does have a non-resident permit, but will not accept other state non-resident permits. Check the requirements and apply for that.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back