Remington R51

eloyo79

Anybody else excited to get their hands on the new Remington R51? I seriously want to take it out to the range and unload a few boxes of ammo. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this firearm? I'd like to get some feedback before I purchase one of these

I'd like to see the Spec Sheet too. I hope it is as hyped. I think it could give the Shield and baby Glocks a run for the money.

Phazers on stun!

Aye, Captain! I'm givin' 'er all I've got, and it's still not enough!

Rest in peace, Scotty...

I really liked the looks and the size of the R51 as well, unfortunately waiting like a lot of other folks for it to get in the hands of the shooters for their opinions. Hopefully it is what Remington claims. I'm not going to rush right out and buy one once it hits the shelves though.

I stopped at my LGS today and they could not tell me how long till they come in.

Yeah, I've been asking around too about the Remington and haven't gotten too much as to when those shops will get them in... The R51 and a couple boxes of those RIP rounds, I think I'll be set. This would be my first compact pistol. I've been trying to carry my full size (5.25) XD-M 45, I think I'd like something smaller to tote around.

Well, ya' see...

Hmmm, I've already got one of these...
Link Removed

This is kinda cool buuutttt...... Meh.
Link Removed

It is a cool looking pistol and is no doubt more advanced than my old PA-63 but, I'm cheap and have other purchases on the list.

Nice! I need something smaller to carry around. I've got a XD-M .45 ACP 5.25; it's an awesome gun. I just want something smaller, and this looks like it suits my needs. Plus, I can save a little money on ammo!!

Already have an XDm in 9 mm 4.5 inch. XD-S in .45acp, 3.3 inch. AR in 5.56NATO. .38 special Taurus 85 ultralite snubbie (wife's).

We're pretty much set, although I'd like a shotgun with tactical and long barrels. Maybe Mossberg or equivalent, later.

I'm betting it is easier to shoot than my XD-S .45 with 3.3 inch barrel...time will tell.

There have been numerous problems with the Remington R51. The Bang Switch just posted an article that everyone considering getting one of these lemons should see:

Is the Remington R51 Safe? | The Bang Switch

This article by MAC details a number of design flaws. The most interesting is the firing out of battery vs. breech opening prematurely issue, causing a bulged case. Next up is the steel locking block engaging an aluminum locking ledge problem, which makes this gun an unusual heavy wear and warranty nightmare. Closely followed by the slide travel being too short from the slide stop to fully seat the round in the chamber. You have to rack the slide back when it is locked open. Also, this gun may actually qualify for producing actual accidental (and not negligent) discharges due to a malfunctioning trigger.

Yeah, I've been seeing plenty of disgruntled people, bloggers, and enthusiasts just tear this pistol up. I think I'll end up getting the Glock 42 instead for my wife. I still want something smaller than this 5.25 XDM 45ACP I have. It's firckin' big and I live in Florida... So, wearing a sweater on a hot day is not a good idea.

I'm pretty disappointed with Remington... plus you guys see they're recalling some of their rifles now.... I haven't heard a recall for the R51 yet... I'm seriously glad I didn't purchase one!!!

The problem is that the R51 was rushed into production so that they could introduce it at Shot Show. It wasn't ready for prime time yet. There is additional work that needs to be done. The company for which I work sells them, and NONE of us recommend them at this time. While it has a very nice sight picture, feels pretty good in the hand, and has one of the easier slides to operate (which is good, because it is being marketed specifically to women, and really stiff slides are the chief issue that keeps women from buying autos), the grip safety just feels cheap, the slide action is really gritty, getting it fully into battery is an issue, and almost everyone says that, compared to other 9mm autos this size, the recoil is VERY difficult to control - making it very difficult to keep on target. That doesn't even take into account all the rest of the issues owners are having.

The R51 has the potential to be a very nice gun, but Remington has a TON of work to do to make it so. I would give them another 6 months to a year before I would even considered buying one.

R51 is junk! Stiff blackstrap and trigger. We got 15 into our shop and tried to send them back because a lot where scrapping metal off the slide every time they racked or barrel getting stuck. Remington said they are fine.

They are very dangerous and unreliable. We were able to easily simulate a open breech fire. The gun can go off with slide half open. Save yourself the headache and abandon ship on Remington.

We also sent all of the r700 back to Remington. Like 59 or so from out shop. All 2006-current are recalled. Fire when chamfering a round with the bolt.

I will not being a Remington probably ever again unless they come under new management and stop cutting machining corners to save money under the freedom group

I'm just surprised to see Charlotte, NC stamped on the R51. I live in CLT and didn't know Remington had a plant here. The wonderful things you learn on CC forums :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back