Reloading in Lancaster PA

vangg23

I wanted to start reloading my own handgun ammo. .40 s&w. Eventually moving onto other calibers as I get better. However I dont even know where to start. Looked at a ton of YouTube vids. However I feel like I might do something unsafe and regret it. Was wondering if there was anyone local to Lancaster, PA who can maybe show me the ropes. I've been buying ammo for the last 13 years and it's really taken a toll on my budget. I hate not having any ammo around just to have around. I catch myself shooting all my supply except for what I carry. Any help will be very appreciative.

Pick up and carefully read the the NRA reloading handbook. Then find a reloader to help you. If you don't know a reloader, join a gun club and ask for help.

If you want hands on insruction I would recommend you check with shops that carry reloading supplies in your area. Just give them a phone call, many reloading suppliers have presses set up and can give you reliable advice. The 9mm and the 40 S&W are a couple of rounds that need extra care when reloading due to higher pressures and support in the chamber. I reload for both but I do not load maximum powder charges in either. I buy premium carry ammo for carry purposes and shoot the reduced velocity reloads for practice. I would also advise you to make sure your seating depth is correct for the bullet manufacturer you use. Not all 155 grain JHP's are identical. A longer bullet seated to the same depth as a shorter bullet will develop more pressure. I have gone into a sporting goods store with a micrometer to measure some factory ammunition when I could not find loading data for a specific bullet. I have seen two 40 S&W that were destroyed by handloads. The first was a Glock, the owner decided to use magnum primers and a compressed load, he is lucky to have all his fingers and both eyes, the gun was trash. The second was a Springfield XD, the owner misread the load data and used too much powder, the factory repaired his handgun for $100. One skill you need to develop with any high pressure firearm is the putting the proper crimp on the bullet. A good resource is www.ammosmith.com

Thanks. I'm doing good reading now. I've talked to a buddy in hamburg who reloads. He is willing to show me some ropes. I wanted to wait till summer and do more reading first. Terminology is key at this point. Thanks for the tips. I know with the elections coming up. If that punk gets re elected. We're definitely having a ammo shortage again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back