Reciprocal between states

I just had an experience with South Carolina while traveling from my home in East Tenneesse. I was stopped by a county sheriff deputy and was informed that I had to have my side arm in the glove box while in SC. I tried to find out about this and have done nothing but confuse myself even more. I am fairly new to CCW and don't wish to get myself into trouble through being ignorant of the laws of states with reciprocal statements. Anyone familar with finding out about the laws in other states? Thank you.

Yaakov,
Printed materials go out of date daily. The NRA tries to keep a fairly updated set of regulations on the NRA.org website.

Take care and be safe
pfb

I just had an experience with South Carolina while traveling from my home in East Tenneesse. I was stopped by a county sheriff deputy and was informed that I had to have my side arm in the glove box while in SC. I tried to find out about this and have done nothing but confuse myself even more. I am fairly new to CCW and don't wish to get myself into trouble through being ignorant of the laws of states with reciprocal statements. Anyone familar with finding out about the laws in other states? Thank you.

You left out one key element in your post. Do you possess a Tennessee CCW permit? OK, apparently I was incorrect. Even with a recognized permit you can only carry in a vehicle:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee’s person and a location specified in item (9);

There is no state that I know of that has different laws for carrying on an out-of-state permit that is recognized than for in-state permits held by residents.

The site you posted on, usacarry.com will provide you links and synopsis to the each states handgun laws. The LEO is correct in that non-cwp persons can legally transport a loaded firearm in the glove compartment. If you have a cwp that is honored by SC you just abide by SC law

Reciprocity between states regarding carry permits is fine, but how does it shake out when you're pulled over on the side of the road at night and trying to explain that the state you are in honors the permit you are carrying? Does anybody have any experience with this, and how did it turn out?

Reply to hounddog

I started this thread looking for asist in reciprocal between states. I was pulled over in SC and was informed by the sheriff deputy that I had to carry in the glove box. My experience was very good, didn't get cited for speeding. Just listen to the LEO and don't argue worked wonders for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back