Recently moved to Missouri, Ret, Police Officer needs to Qualify ?

duke7595

Under S. 1132 the "LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS SAFETY ACT / IMPROVEMENT ACT"

I am a Retired Police Officer from the State Of N.J. I now reside in S/W Missouri . What must I do, and from who, to keep my qualification I know I must now qualify in Missouri
but all the instructors I spoke with say they are not able to qualify me since they are not qualified to instruct a Police Officer.

I am new to this area and don't know any of the the right people to speak with. Can you advise me as to who I must contact to qualify.

Sincerely,
Duke

Duke,

Call your local PD and ask if they will qualify you.
I am (Ret) qualified from Stl living in Buffalo.
It still goes back to your origin PD.
Mine gave me a LEOSA ID but I have to have a qualification yearly by a NRA Certified Instructor.
Did your original PD give you an ID?
I would also suggest that you get a CCW from Missouri first. Takes about 30 days.

Duke,

Call your local PD and ask if they will qualify you.
I am (Ret) qualified from Stl living in Buffalo.
It still goes back to your origin PD.
Mine gave me a LEOSA ID but I have to have a qualification yearly by a NRA Certified Instructor.
Did your original PD give you an ID?
I would also suggest that you get a CCW from Missouri first. Takes about 30 days.

golocx4 ,

My Department did not give me anything from LEOSA, however I do have my Police I.D. which states Retired, it is the same Police I.D. for those active on the job. with the
exception of Retired.

I really didn't want to go with a CCW reason being, LEOSA let's me carry anywhere in the U.S. and it's territories with out any hassle, especially in States like Ill. and my home state of N.J. .. You stated you have to a qualify yearly by a NRA Certified Instructor. Where and who would I have to contact for qualification by a NRA INSTRUCTOR.

Sincerely,
DUKE

Actually it's incorrect that you must qualify with an NRA Instructor. You are required to qualify with a State or Local LE Agency annually. Check with your local PD or Sheriff's Office.
Link Removed The info you're looking for is on page 3.

Actually it's incorrect that you must qualify with an NRA Instructor. You are required to qualify with a State or Local LE Agency annually. Check with your local PD or Sheriff's Office.
Link Removed The info you're looking for is on page 3.
For retired officers you are correct, In my case I am qualified under LEOSA because I left he PD under good circumstances with more than 10 years.
My PD won't qualify me. They simply gave me an ID that say I am separated and left on good terms and I have to carry a signed qualification. They instructed me that it must be an NRA Instructor that qualifies me on the annual PD course of fire.
As I understand it, the Retired guys LEOSA or Retired ID expires every year. I am talking about STL Pd here.
The separated like me don't expire but the qualification does.
Again, I really suggest getting a CCW for your new state of MO they are not like NJ at all.
I have my NY CCW so while in NY my LEOSA is not necessary.
When I leave NY and is when I would produce my LEOSA if required.
The rules in NY are really bizarre. You can only carry the gun or guns you qualified with.
But if you have your NY CCW you can carry any gun you own.
You figure it out.
Bottom line, Police Departments want to distance themselves from any liability if something goes wrong.

Oath Keeper, I don't want to argue but you need to read the law.
In addition to carrying the photographic identification issued by the agency for which they were
employed or were separated, the qualified retired law enforcement officer must also carry
documentation which certifies that they have met, within the most recent twelve month period,
the active duty law enforcement standards for qualification for a firearm of the same type as the
one they intend to carry.

The standard the qualified retired law enforcement officer must meet is that of his former
agency, that of the State in which he resides, or in the absence of State standards—or the
recognition thereof—the standards of any law enforcement agency in the State in which the
qualified retired law enforcement officer and the certified firearms instructor resides.
This document which certifies that the qualified retired law enforcement officer has met the
standards described above must be issued by the retired officer’s former agency, by the State in
which he lives, or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms
qualification test for active duty officers within that State.

Who ever does the qualification must be certified by the state to do qualifications for active duty officers. That is not your necessarily your local NRA instructor. You have to receive and carry a card stating you meet the qualification requirements of LEOSA. Again those are issued by a LE agency not just an instructor.
It appears STL PD wants to skirt around LEOSA and are passing incorrect info to their retirees. I think you'll find if you try to travel that your qual record from just an NRA Instructor isn't going to be acceptable.

duke, check with a local PD, Sheriff's Office or Academy. One of them will haelp you out. Present your retired card and they may want to contact your agency to confirm your retired status so have that information available also.

Oath Keeper, I don't want to argue but you need to read the law.

Who ever does the qualification must be certified by the state to do qualifications for active duty officers. That is not your necessarily your local NRA instructor. You have to receive and carry a card stating you meet the qualification requirements of LEOSA. Again those are issued by a LE agency not just an instructor.
It appears STL PD wants to skirt around LEOSA and are passing incorrect info to their retirees. I think you'll find if you try to travel that your qual record from just an NRA Instructor isn't going to be acceptable.

duke, check with a local PD, Sheriff's Office or Academy. One of them will haelp you out. Present your retired card and they may want to contact your agency to confirm your retired status so have that information available also.

grizzerr

Thanks for the up date, but as to date LEOSA does not issue a I.D. card to my knowledge. I read the current law, the updated version of 2011, it states a retired police officer must present his Police I.D. along with a current qualification from a instructor who can qualify Police Officers, active and retired.
I think I will take your advice and get my Missouri CCW . The main reason I am wanting the LEOSA certification is because after this election who knows what might happen
with the gun laws should the wrong person be elected.

Than you,
Duke

You're correct duke, there is no LEOSA card. I'm issued a new qualification card by my agency each year that states the expiration date and that I'm qualified in compliance with LEOSA.
I travel a lot for business these days and I prefer the freedom LEOSA gives me over a state CCW. On the other hand the MO CCW is easy to obtain and you don't to re-qualify annually.

Can't speak for NJ but I do believe a retired officer must "qualify" at the State minimum qualifications for active officers. Ideally, a retired officer could go to his former dept and get re-qualified every year but most departments will not do this for some unknown reason(s). Any state certified Re-qualification instructor can operate a re-qual course for retired officers (in my state). I have a guy that moved to MO from Ohio. When he comes back for vacation or visits, he calls me and we go to the range to re-qual. Our local Community College Police Academy also offers retiree qualifications a couple of times a year free of charge.
As for the ID. You need an official ID issued by your former department stateing you are retired. The two are not necessarily linked although that would be ideal.

You're correct duke, there is no LEOSA card. I'm issued a new qualification card by my agency each year that states the expiration date and that I'm qualified in compliance with LEOSA.
I travel a lot for business these days and I prefer the freedom LEOSA gives me over a state CCW. On the other hand the MO CCW is easy to obtain and you don't to re-qualify annually.

grizzerr, Thank you and everyone for the info. . When your new to an area and have no contacts things become difficult especially when your used to getting things done with out any problem.

Thanks guys and good luck.

grizzerr, Thank you and everyone for the info. . When your new to an area and have no contacts things become difficult especially when your used to getting things done with out any problem.

Thanks guys and good luck.

I hear ya on that. I moved back to MO last year from CO and still getting used to a few differences in the laws.

Duke- Did you get this resolved?

Where in MO are you located? I may have a contact within your local PD. It's a small world, after all.

If not, and you are near SW MO, I'll hook you up with your CCW class for free.

It's difficult to find someone to qualify out of state retired LEOs. Cole County does it for their own Deputies only and I wqas told that at this time only 4 have been issued. Jeff City PD doesn't even do it for their own officers. I may be going back to CO to get mine renewed.

SWMO Instructor

Thanks for your offer I appreciate it , I'm located approx. 50 miles East of Springfield, near a town called Mansfield, Mo. . I would not have thought it was so difficult to do such
a small thing for a brother Police Officer.
If you do find someone please let me know.

Sincerely,
Duke

SWMO Instructor

Thanks for your offer I appreciate it , I'm located approx. 50 miles East of Springfield, near a town called Mansfield, Mo. . I would not have thought it was so difficult to do such
a small thing for a brother Police Officer.
If you do find someone please let me know.

Sincerely,
Duke

Duke if you haven't found someone for Retired LEO here is a link. I've heard good things from others who utilize them.

Retired Officer Firearm Class - Missouri State Outreach Noncredit - Missouri State University

Thanks protectnsurvive and grizzerr for the information, I really appreciate this. I'm going to contact them and get registered.

First ,Congrats for retiring from Jersey. Retired for there too and found my way to Florida. Local Sheriffs Dept. does HR-218 quals for retired guys......I smile at the range knowing that my handgun is older than the line officers running the quals.

I took the class at MSU last weekend. Took about 2.5 hrs between classroom and range. I left with my certificate and a new wallet card. They do the classes every couple months and it's worth the trip.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back